Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Writing to you CX'ers since you have so much experience with these pedals... I've run a pair of Time ATACs, the cheap ones, for about 6 years with zero maintenance and nary a complaint. But in the last year or so I found on occasion that the bearings would creak under heavy load (full loaded panniers cranking slowly uphill). Figured one day I'd get around to buying new ones. Now the day has come - I'm getting a new frame and upgrading a variety of 6-8 year old parts.

So anyway, the question is, do regular ATACs and the "Z" platform version have similar bearings and seals? I ask because (1) I'm considering the platform version; (2) the CyclingNews website reviewer loved the "Z" except that the mud seals squeak. So I wonder: if I was happy with the regular ATAC seals (even asphalt commuting 20-40 miles), will the Z version perform similarly (other than the obvious difference in size)? Thanks for any advice...

Oh b.t.w. - I'm assuming the ATACs have two bearings - outboard and inboard. Something I heard a while back, but couldn't confirm since the Time website apparently doesn't talk about their offroad pedals.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
I've never had a technical question about ATACs that couldn't be answered on mtbr. Head over there and do a quick search of the forums. There should be a number of threads on rebuilding all sorts of ATAC pedals.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the old atac, new atac XS, and Z pedals. I don't know if the bearings are the same or not, but tye appear to have two (inboard and outboard) bearings. The Z pedals have an additional seal for the inboard bearing-sor t of a rubber gasket-which is what squeaks, especially in the wet. I like them all and have had no problems. The z pedals are heavy, but the platform is even ok to ride with sneakers relatively comfortably. FWIW, I use the 2005 XS because the spring tension is adjustable for a " light" release.

cliff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts