Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
lo and behold!
144 Posts
I think they hav eto become available before anyone here can experience them... I think there maybe like 5 in the country.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I saw a time asx in SF at a high end shop. they are very nice, The man who owns the shop also has them on his bike. I would love to get some but at $750 i better start savin.

·
Registered
485 Posts
joey brown said:
I am looking for anyone who has ridden them or even held them in their hand.

Joey
Like I said i HELD them in my hand. They are nice and light the one i saw was time asx titan. I would get them if i had the money. they are supposed to be very stiff.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Are you sure about that?

velocipede said:
I think they hav eto become available before anyone here can experience them... I think there maybe like 5 in the country.

I've seen at least 3 of those 5 at Velo Pasadena over the last 4 months or so. I ride a VXRS and of course they asked if I would be interested in them and they were getting the first shipment in soon. That was at least four months ago. ...and for what it's worth I told them not thanks and that I'm happy with Campy Record cranks.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
joey brown said:
I am looking for anyone who has ridden them or even held them in their hand.

Joey
FWIW, it appears they're made by Stronglight for Time. Or so it's been said over at Weight Weenies. If you go there and pm Dark Albert, he should be able to give you some info. I believe he built up a bike with Time cranks. Juanmoretime, here at RBR, probably also knows someone who's built w/ 'em. You could pm him, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a set of the ASX Titans on a VXRS Ulteam, and having just won my first EVER race, I have to say they work like a dream. Stiff, clean shifting and scary light. Only downside - 52 big ring. Would have preferred the more common (nowadays) 53 for sprinting on the flat, but it makes enough of a difference on the gentler climbs to stay up in the big ring a bit longer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
picture

Picture of cranks on my bike are under "VXRS confusion elsewhere in the forum, but here's the cranks picture again:

And yes, I know it's rude to have Dura-ace pedals on a Record bike, but I like them (And still have three spare sets of cleats at home :)

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Why is that rude?
I have the same pedals on my Record bike as well, they are great!!!

I also am building a Shimano 9 drivetrain bike with Campy 10 shifters on purpose! :eek:

Use what works the best for the money ya got!

Nice bike BTW! :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Jaims said:
And yes, I know it's rude to have Dura-ace pedals on a Record bike, but I like them (And still have three spare sets of cleats at home :)
I have Dura-Ace cranks and Time pedals on a Chorus bike.

Hmmm...if we traded just right, I could end up with Time cranks and Time pedals and a Record bike, and you could have DA pedals, DA cranks, and a Chorus bike. Sounds like a great deal, eh?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Methinks you might not get the deal you're after there...I just keep getting grief for being a traitor to the Italian/French super-bike, but there you go. Those DA pedals are real smooth and clip in really nicely.

I've already got a spanking new set of cheapo centaur cranks and BB at home while I was waiting for the Time ones to turn up...I think the left crank weighs more than the *entire* ASX crankset!

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
The evolution of the bike

Those cranks are beautiful! I love the way that advances in techmology* enable us to have nice parts like those.

MD
*props to Ali G

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
Jaims said:

Nonsense! I also have a Campagnolo bike with Ultegra SPD-SLs. They were the best "Look" style pedal on the market at the time. The Campy Pro-Fits were way too pricey and Look's own pedals at the time were dated. Only recently when the Keo came out have I considered switching, but it's quite pointless to do so.

10 Posts
I Have Time Carbon Cranks On My Carbon Soloist

Hello
I Have Time Cranks On My Carbon Soloist.i Have Only Had 1 Ride Of 50 Miles On The Bike Since The Cranks Have Been Installed But The Cranks Are Worth Every Dollar.

About Two Months Ago My Mechanic Was Telling Me About The Cranks, How They Are Super Smooth And Extremly Light But Expensive(i A Great Deal On Them) And How They Would Be Perfect For My New Carbon Soloist.i Couldn't Afford Them At The Time But Two Weeks Later While Out Of Town I Went Into A Bike Shop And One Of The Mechanics Had The Cranks On His Bike So I Was Able To Ask His Opinion On Them And He Gave Me The Thumbs Way Up.

My Mechanic Ordered Them And They Finally Came In And I Could Not Have Been More Pleased I Got The Compact 50/34 Version 175mm But I Would Have Prefered A 52/36 Or 50/36 Ring Combo.the Cranks Replaced A Fsa Slk Mega Exo Compact 50/36 But I Also Swapped Out The 50 For A 52 Once In A While.the The Time Cranks Weighed In At 622 Grams While The Fsa Cranks Were 866 Grams Which Is A Huge Difference.the Time Cranks Are Super Smooth And Even Stiffer Than The Fsa's I Felt I Could Easily Push 1 Or 2 Gears Higher On The Time Cranks Due To Thier Smoothness And Lightness.the Be One Is Inboard Bearings In The Time Cranks Are Large And Easily Replacable One Is Outboard Like Most External Cranks And The Other Is Internal.overall I Would Say The Cranks Are One Of The Best Up Grades I Have Ever Put On My Bike Right Up There With Deep Carbon Tubular Wheels,zero Gravity Brakes And A Garmin Gps/hrm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hummm,

Do you have any trouble with the derail ramping up from the 34 to a 52? I'm taking a trip to the Montana mountains in July and am thinking about 34/52 (if possible) and 12/26. I need the 34/26 for climbing, but think I need the 52/12 for crusing. I rode last year with 34/50 and 13/27 and wish I had a 12 or 11 with a tail wind. I was reaching for gears and I was OUT. Don't think Campy "likes" the chain length calculation...

TR

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
I'm really not trolling, however those Time cranks are ugly. I really don't like that carbon weave on them. The Record cranks look much better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts