Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I purchased new old stock Time Criterium pedals, cleats and adaptors. I purchased a new pair of Nike Lance II shoes. The shoes came with two gaskets for the cleats. Does the sticky side go to the sole side or the cleat side? The reverse side of the gasket feels like skate board tape. Also any suggestions for cleat placement and advice concerning set up will be greatly appreciated since this is my first pair of road shoes and pedals. I'm converting from MTB pedals.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
The sticky side goes on the shoes. Helps when you replace the cleats, so you know exactly where to position them. The course side is so the cleat doesn't slip. It is not critical that you use the gasket, they will work fine without them.

Can't help you much on cleat placement, that's a pretty personal thing. I would suggest that you not put the gasket on until you find the position that you want to stick with.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Softrider said:
The sticky side goes on the shoes. Helps when you replace the cleats, so you know exactly where to position them. The course side is so the cleat doesn't slip. It is not critical that you use the gasket, they will work fine without them.

Can't help you much on cleat placement, that's a pretty personal thing. I would suggest that you not put the gasket on until you find the position that you want to stick with.

That is BACKWARDS. Sticky goes to the cleat. If you stick it to your show your going to f' up any adjustments you will probably need to make. When you buy replacement cleats you get a new adhesive tape because the old tape is discarded with the old cleats.

Don't stick it to the shoe!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hell, you learn something new every day. I've just done it the way the LBS guy suggested, and it actually works real well. Very easy to put new cleats in the same spot as the old ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts