Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm 5 weeks into my first structured plan and I have a question:
During the weekends, the plan calls for 90-120 min Sat rides with a bit longer on Sunday. The Sat ride also calls for Z2 with some VO2 3 min intervals (6 total). I've been sticking to this during the week, but I enjoy a good group ride on Saturday that normally gives me 150-180 min, but this puts me at Z3 for a good 60+ min and some Z4/5 at times. Because of this longer effort, my Sunday ride is usually 90-120 min. I'm getting in 7 hrs a week on a program designed for a 6 hours.

Is my weekend group ride going to help or hinder my progress?

Some info:
5000 miles last year (4 rides a week most of the time)
This is my second full year riding and I'm 41. I'm in pretty good shape especially for this time of year, but I feel I need the rest days to recover.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goals? Increased power especially for extended periods 10-20 minutes, I have a race the weekend of week 8, so I realize that this program is for a peak, but I'm anticipating this training having a cumulative effect to raise my fitness level and power. I enjoy riding regardless, pushing through painful intervals, riding in groups, or long solo rides with the computer off. Recovery is the challenge. I feel for most tougher rides, that I need 72 hrs to fully recover.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.