Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since my old bike just died in a car accident I need a new ride. I was on a KHS Flight 700, which was sort of an OK bike for me. It was OK enough to ride 7000 miles on at least. The setup was full 105 with Velomax Circuit wheels and was the 2003 frame, which was full aluminum and relatively sturdy for them.

Anyways, I'm going to upgrade to something with at least full Ultegra and probably will look at either a full carbon or Al/Carbon combo. I think I can spend from about $2k to $2500. Any opinions out there? I've already priced out the standard off the shelf rides in that range. Cannondales, Giants, Felts, Treks. There's plenty of options in that range and a lot of them are very attractively decked out. I'm pretty savvy about groupos, but I've fallen behind on the intricacies of frame builds and wheelsets over the past couple years because I haven't been shopping. I'm not really a weight-weenie, but I would like to be on a sub-17.5 lbs ride since I live in north county San Diego and have plenty of stuff to climb.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
530 Posts
A steel Serotta Fierte or one of "last year's" Look frames come to mind. Very well made, not dime-a-dozen, and good prices on both (not the newest Looks, mind you, but the clearance models). Build 'em up with Centaur or Ultegra and you're probably pretty light and still on budget.

Oh, and search this forum using your budget as the search term. You'll probably find a few previous threads and a lot of suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.