Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this TDF was set up for an historic battle in the hills, I believe it is quite apparent that Froome will take the next 3-4 tours with out any competition. What has become very exciting is the flat stage challenges where the peloton is broken into many groups. And the up hill sprints also change the dynamics of the sprint... SO , some suggestions for a NEW TDF...

Shorten each stage by 25 miles, roughly one hour of ride time per day. Why: I believe the riders will have more energy to attack.

Have two Time trials in each tour: A Team and Individual. A bit selfish on my part as I always enjoy seeing the TTT team effort.

Only two mountain stages. The gc riders are just getting thru the mountains boring. This is not to say we could not have hilly stages with a bunch of 4 and 3 category hills...

I'd like to see ONE cyclo cross stage...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I vote for hidden trap doors sprinkled throughout stages... or maybe a giant robotic arm like in those coin operated grab a toy machines.... wiley coyote style painted fake tunnels after forks in the road.....oil slicks......

I too thought that the mountains were boring this year.

Ban Quintanta from next years tour on grounds of not planning to attack, ever.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Stage lengths are too long the same way the MLB baseball season is too long.

You know it should be shorter.
The participants in the sport know it should be shorter.

But the money to be made precludes it from being shorter.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
They already have the team format. I think the perfect idea is to add some roller-derby in there, where teams protect one rider to cross the finish line first, and the teams get to shove each other around.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Require all riders to have to stop and have a beer or wine glass at every winery/bar the route passes, and a one-bar-per-town/city minimum.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
But seriously: Froome's domination: any other team is free to pursue the strategy that is working for Sky. And was a big part of Lance's domination.

That is to form a team that focuses mainly on winning the TdF. LA and Postal/Radio Shack never tried to dominate the Giro or other rides. And they did not aim to win sprint stages.

This is what Sky is doing, but no one else is really doing. Eight guys devoted to getting a ninth, very strong rider on the podium.

This year shows that Froome can be defeated; he and Sky did get isolated at times, and at those times there was the opportunity for a challenger to defeat Froome.

I think the case can be made that Valverde could very well have been a challenger, if he did not devote so much effort to the Giro, and if Quinata was Valverde's domestique.

Yates is young. Porte is with a new team...

Froome may be a lock. Make sure to jot him down in the 2017 TdF predictions thread, then at this time next year, we will all be saying, "pr0230 called it an entire year in advance!"

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
But seriously: Froome's domination: any other team is free to pursue the strategy that is working for Sky. And was a big part of Lance's domination.

That is to form a team that focuses mainly on winning the TdF. LA and Postal/Radio Shack never tried to dominate the Giro or other rides. And they did not aim to win sprint stages.

This is what Sky is doing, but no one else is really doing. Eight guys devoted to getting a ninth, very strong rider on the podium.

This year shows that Froome can be defeated; he and Sky did get isolated at times, and at those times there was the opportunity for a challenger to defeat Froome.

I think the case can be made that Valverde could very well have been a challenger, if he did not devote so much effort to the Giro, and if Quinata was Valverde's domestique.

Yates is young. Porte is with a new team...

Froome may be a lock. Make sure to jot him down in the 2017 TdF predictions thread, then at this time next year, we will all be saying, "pr0230 called it an entire year in advance!"
No joke PJay. I called it first a few days ago in your thread. You are so spot on. Sky has the same approach LA had. One race. Whole team pointed to a single July goal. Built around that one thing and paid well for their contributions. Sky didn't invent this approach, they took a winning formula and made it their own.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
No Alpe d'Huez, Glandon, Galibier, Croix de Fer, Telegraphe, Luz Ardiden. Enough said. TdFs have been boring since Armstrong started his run.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
No Alpe d'Huez, Glandon, Galibier, Croix de Fer, Telegraphe, Luz Ardiden. Enough said. TdFs have been boring since Armstrong started his run.
...only if all you care about is the GC...which historically has been boring for decades. It is only relatively recently that the GC was THE contest everyone cared about to the exclusion of all else.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
There is one huge downside to Sky's approach.

Gambling everything on one race risks a failed season if something bad happens. An unavoidable crash, illness, terrorist attack, natural disaster, Mont Ventoux :p. Fortunately (for Sky) that wasn't the disaster it could have been. Some things are just outside of your control. You can do everything perfect, and still lose the race.

But to the OP's point, I agree. I'm bored to tears with stage racing. Especially three week long stage races. Give me some awesome spring classics and I'll be happy.

·
Farmguy
573 Posts
I wish I could remember the rider and the team, but early on, say stages 7-10, he said the he was unable to convince any other team to try and work with his team to take on team Sky and beat them up. His comment was that no one was trying to win the tour, they just seemed happy for a single stage win at best. He was very frustrated to say the least...."why did they even come to the tour"...

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Can we get PJay to comment on PJay's post to see if he has good points?

It definitely seems like absolute focus on one GC rider gives an advantage to Sky. That's a lot of eggs in one basket, which can crash out, but it's worked more often than not for them.

I wonder how different it might have been if Contador hadn't gotten hurt, and if he truly could have challenged (not saying he could). Tinkoff's multi-pronged strategy seemed to pay off for them, although I guess they don' t have a real sprinter (who needs that if you have you-know-who).

I was pretty engrossed in this year's tour, but the Alps ended up disappointing with nobody to contend against Froome other than a wet white paint line on the road.

Oh and I usually find the mountains more exciting than flats and you can't necessarily bank on crazy crosswinds happening, but Stage 11 was a pleasant surprise for viewers (if not for riders).

Maybe one cobbled stage and bring back a TTT stage?

PS Just kidding, but let the riders lash out at idiot fans on mountain stages without repercussion, that would make mountain stages more interesting.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Tinkoff's multi-pronged strategy seemed to pay off for them, although I guess they don' t have a real sprinter (who needs that if you have you-know-who).
Tinkoff had no real sprinter???

Who is the guy who routinely beat Kittel, Greipel, Kristoff, Coquard, Matthews in the majority of the sprints those guys contested? I think he had a GREEN JERSEY on that read Tinkoff IIRC

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Fewer TT please!

This year's Tour was exciting right up .. until the TT basically ended the GC fight. In the most boring way possible: an ITT. Seriously, the ITT just moved Froome from seconds to a minute ahead to multiple minutes ahead and game over.

If I were kind of the world, I would outlaw all TT in Ground Tours! And more mountains, and much larger time bonuses please.

·
Registered
29,586 Posts
Fewer TT please!

This year's Tour was exciting right up .. until the TT basically ended the GC fight. In the most boring way possible: an ITT. Seriously, the ITT just moved Froome from seconds to a minute ahead to multiple minutes ahead and game over.

If I were kind of the world, I would outlaw all TT in Ground Tours! And more mountains, and much larger time bonuses please.
Nah --- all the great TDF legends could TT and climb well.

SKY had the largest budget. Assembled a great team (riders, managers, coaches, support staff) in support of a superior rider who, like Jacques, Eddie, Bernard, Greg, and Miguel were all Da Patron of their era's.

Sure I'd love to see another last day TT into Paris deciding a few second victory, or some other rendition thereof, but the TDF is as much an institution as it is a bicycle race.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts