Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding bikes for a long time and have used Chris King headsets on almost every bike that used standard pressed-in cups.

I recently purchased a new road frame and I'm having a hard time going with King again because of its rounded, bulbous appearance. It looked ok on bikes with narrower steel and aluminum tubes, but on today's bikes, it simply looks out of place...almost as if it was mashed down into that shape.

Is it just me, or is it time for them to get rid of this shape and make it a little more square on the sides? I can't imagine that it serves any functional purpose anyway, as the bearings themselves are not rounded on the outside.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
It ain't just King...all the nice external-bearing headsets do it that way.

Cane Creek 110....Phil Wood's headsets...King (ofc)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
CK headset is like dubs on a car. Gansgsta bling is their sum benefit, now that we've left the mid 90s. Remind me of the garish colour-anodized BMX parts from the late 70s/early 80s. Though they for sure take off a good half minute from that 40km TT, LOL. And don't get me started about the most annoying sounds ever heard on a bike ride .. CK hubs!

headsets: Cane Creek, heck FSA cartridge too

so, sure time for CK to change. matters to me not at all however

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
and if they were to change shape, what other shape would they change to? All their weirdo headsets on the market are customized OEM parts from the manufacturers. And good luck finding headsets for your aero frame 5 years after they have stopped production for that particular frame model.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I don't care what my or anyone's headset looks like but as far as your suggestion to King goes I would think it a mistake to change their most iconic and well recognized product.
That would rank up there with 'new Coke' I think.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
well yeah, I thoughts thats what you meant, otherwise I don't have an issue with regular CK headsets on any type of external frame, but thats just me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts