Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have been smart and not brought out the new bike so fast into the season. First race of the year, Only had the bike 8 days, had 200 miles on it. We had gotten 8 miles into the race one lap, and i get done with my pull, and go to the far left on the road, to get out of everyone way. so people could pull threw, and while im soft pedaling back on the double yellow.

Bam someone comes from behind and takes me out, i ride right over the guy. and go down, Have to replace the carbon bars, and need a new wheel. glad i wasnt racing the light weight wheel set.

bad news, the third guy in the race, went down face first. was knocked out and choking on his own blood.

another friend of mine went down this weekend too, damn dogs, dislocated his shoulder and landed on his head. His atmos saved his life.

I just wish that everyone be safe, as most of us are not getting paid. Just pay attention, if i learned one thing. Pay attention not just for yourself but for everyone. standing their and picking the guy up who landed on his face onto a stretcher makes the bike not matter.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
i didn't understand that either.

If I had to take a guess i'd say he was coming up imbetween the first rider and another in a gap that wasn't really there. The gap closes and his front wheel goes into the pedal or rear derailuer of the first rider. Guessing the contact pulled him down and under...

· Registered
3,230 Posts
one of the more harrowing things I've seen in a race -- pack is going up this bit of incline in a crit. Guy -- I don't know what he was doing, because we were lined out . . . I don't know. I guess he was trying to make up positions on the outside but now wanted back in. Anyway, the guy's front wheel grinds into the rear derailer of the guy ahead of me. Awful noise. To his credit, he steers his bike away from the pack, but goes sailing into a concrete jersey wall, screaming the whole way.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was on the far left, he came flying up out of control, and was in the act of going down when he went down in front of me, so when he did crash, i only saw his front carbon rim and the color of his jersey. When the guy came back to the scene of the crash, i saw he had a non carbon wheel.

He asked what happend i said some dude just ran right into me, and told him it wasnt him as he didnt have carbons rims. He then pointed out his front rim was carbon.

the team he rides for doesnt have a web site, so i dont know how to go about finding out how serious his injuries are. guess ill find out sunday when i race

· Registered
139 Posts
Friends of mine this weekend in Charleston...

1 guy crashed in the Pro 1,2 race severing his thumb flexor tendon on a chainring, surgery this week to fix it.

1 guy crashed in the 40+ race fractured his clavicle, scapula and a couple of ribs with massive road rash from his head down.

2 guys crashed in the cat 3 race, one dislocated his shoulder the other one with bad road rash.

very ugly weekend around here...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.