Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding with a pair of Sidi Genius (can't remember the version number - they were top of the line about 5 years ago) & after about 70 - 80 miles into a ride one of them starts to aggravate the out side of my foot - if you feel the side of your foot from the heal forward, it's the first bump OR if you want to get technical it's were the metatarsal bone for my little toe joins the tarsal bones.

When this happens, I loosen up the shoe to relieve the pain for the remainder of the ride.

I guess my feet swell up after this number of miles. Is this normal or should I be looking at getting a new pair of shoes? If not, is there anything else I can do?

If I do less than 70 miles, I have no problem...............

Oh yeah, I probably have about 15K miles on this pair of shoes.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

· Sharkey
68 Posts
I was wondering the same thing . . .

I too, have a pair of old Sidis . . .mine are almost 6 years old and even though they easily have 50K miles on them, they actually don't look too bad. However, I did start noticing last year, for the first time, that I was developing hot spots on the balls of my feet. They are more comfortable than ever, but only for the first 50 miles or so . . . then the hot spots start. Maybe the sole becomes flexible over time? Perhaps a new pair of shoes is in order for me as well!

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
My feet definitely swell over the course of a ride. It depends on how hot it is as to how fast I can tell. I start out with my straps slightly loose and then tighten/loosen as needed. I had to retire my 3 year old Sidi Genius when the cleat plate came loose. They still looked great.

If your shoes are in good condition and are comfortable, you might try my method and see if that works out. On the other hand, this sounds like a perfect excuse to go buy some new cycling shoes. :thumbsup: I suggest Northwave Aerators or maybe some nice DMT's.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Joe_Bike said:
I have been riding with a pair of Sidi Genius (can't remember the version number - they were top of the line about 5 years ago) & after about 70 - 80 miles into a ride one of them starts to aggravate the out side of my foot - if you feel the side of your foot from the heal forward, it's the first bump OR if you want to get technical it's were the metatarsal bone for my little toe joins the tarsal bones.

When this happens, I loosen up the shoe to relieve the pain for the remainder of the ride.

I guess my feet swell up after this number of miles. Is this normal or should I be looking at getting a new pair of shoes? If not, is there anything else I can do?

If I do less than 70 miles, I have no problem...............

Oh yeah, I probably have about 15K miles on this pair of shoes.

Thanks for any help.

Joe
I've been using a pait of Sido Shadows for 7 years now and they are still going strong. Have worn out a few heel pieces, but that's about it.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
To the OP: Maybe it's time to try a pair of Sidi Genius Megas....5mm wider than a standard Genius. Sidis are known for running small and narrow.

I have a 7-year old pair of Genius 4s- couldn't even begin to guess the mileage- but they're still trucking along. I may think about replacing them soon, but only because I'm getting tired of the color :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.