Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience with Specialized Pro Carbon or S- Works? I tried a pair of the Pro Carbons and they fit really well. But, I'ld like to try a pair of Carnac M-5's before making a final decision. Please weigh in with your thoughts or recommendations. Thanks.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
Yes...I bought the Pro Carbons primarily for the excellent fit on my foot. For the most part I've liked them, but after only about nine months the entire red rubber anti-slip pad on the right shoe heel has crumbled and fallen off. I'm now down to the carbon. The left one looks brand-new. No, I don't drag my feet, and rarely walk in my shoes, so I'm not sure how I damaged it:

· Registered
89 Posts
The banner advert at the top of the page has got to you hasn't it.

Sidi's are very good in terms of comfort, also if you have want to replace the heel pad you can as it is replacable.

DR_John, I would presume such damage would be caused by you unclipping always with your right foot, and putting the heel on the ground, dragging it even a little before stopping, or pushing off on it. If you can, learn how to track stand so that you don't have to unclip.

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
You're talking about two manufacturers with VERY different lasts. The Shimanos will definitely be narrower than the Carnacs, esp. in the toe box. Try on both. I'm sure one will "speak" to your foot more.

· confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
AJL said:
Do all the Specialized branded shoes have that "vargus" wedge? That caused a lot a knee pain for me.
if you mean the Body Geometry design I think most of them do. I think that's what the vargus wedge is about... putting ur foot on a slant to prevent knee trouble? Strange that you actually got knee trouble, but probably cuz you were a runner and never had the soles on a slant for such a long time.

G

·
OneGear said:
if you mean the Body Geometry design I think most of them do. I think that's what the vargus wedge is about... putting ur foot on a slant to prevent knee trouble? Strange that you actually got knee trouble, but probably cuz you were a runner and never had the soles on a slant for such a long time.
I think it's because I'm slightly bow legged, so the slant actually makes things worse. With the Specialized shoes I would start feeling knee pain in 15-20 minutes. I wore orthotics when I was a runner and typically ran 70-90 mi/week.

· trying to HTFU...
1,910 Posts
Nike + BG insoles...

i'm using the BG insoles(~$40) inside new Nike AlteaII+ shoes.
the Specialzed shoes were a bit too large volumetrically speaking
for my feet and the Nikes felt snugger. with the BG insoles, everything
fits just right, although i'm still fine-tuning the angles with the
included wedges. some days they're great, other days i can't
tell. i guess i'm not terribly biomechnically challenged.
for the most part the BG insoles have eliminated the hot spot
i usually get at the ball of my foot. of course, it helps that i spin
better now than i used to - less pedal mashing, which i still do
when i'm tired, but no more hot spot.
next time i may look into the Nike poggio's as they're stupid light
and pretty snug. not fond of the price or the silver look though. sigh.

AJL said:
I think it's because I'm slightly bow legged, so the slant actually makes things worse. With the Specialized shoes I would start feeling knee pain in 15-20 minutes. I wore orthotics when I was a runner and typically ran 70-90 mi/week.
you need to move the wedges to the other side, lifting the inside of the
foot. when i used to fit ski boots, we did the same thing for bow-legged
folks all the time. later when boots had tons of adjustments, you could
cant the boot tops towards the outside to accomodate bow-legs.

G

·
cwg_at_opc said:
cant the boot tops towards the outside to accomodate bow-legs.
Hmm, would have been nice if the LBS thought of that :rolleyes:

· Registered
12 Posts
cwg_at_opc said:
next time i may look into the Nike poggio's as they're stupid light
and pretty snug. not fond of the price or the silver look though. sigh.
I have old body geometry shoes from specialized that still fit great, 6 years and going strong. I want those mtb shoes to die so I can justify buying a new pair.

Poggio's are quite comfortable, I got some despite the sliver/blue color scheme. Hideous, but for $99 instead of whatever the original price was, I couldn't pass them up.

· I am no Guide
571 Posts
I have Specialized Body Geometry MTB Shoes, and I plan on getting the same in a road shoe.

I find the BG insole helped correct some problems I was having.

I found that my right knee kept turning out, and there was some pain in my left knee. the BG shoes cleared up the pain and brought my knee back in (this is on my MTB, I am just starting into road).

The other thing I found is that these shoes fit me the best. I have Barney Rubble feet (wide and flat), and these shoes fit my feet such that there is no pain due to tightness any where accross my foot (which is not trure for my old Shimano shoes...)

· Registered
82 Posts
cant the boot tops towards the outside to accomodate bow-legs.[/QUOTE]

I just bought the specialized inserts (the ++ or mediums) and they claim that for 85% of the population the knee will track to the inside when bending. Consequently, the BG shoes are tilted from high on the inside to lower on the outside (1.5 mm) so that the knee tracks "straight". The poster might therefore already be lifting the inside. The test they decribe is for you to stand on one leg and bend the knee some. Does the knee move to the inside or outside? If it goes outside, then you need to have the outside of your soles higher than your inside. It's worth trying. If your knee tracks to the outside, then you probably shouldn't wear Specialized shoes since apparently they come with inside part higher than the outside.

Btw, I really like these inserts for my Sidi genius carbon 4's, whose insert is flat. The inserts come in 3 different arch sizes so you can get one that best conforms to the shape of your foot. At my LBS they had a thing made by Specialized that I stepped on which measured my arch. $45 here in boston.

--garyjaz

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Hated the Spec Pro Carbons because of the built-in wedging. The wedge goes the wrong way for me. I even shelled out good money after the fact to get their insert kit that allows you to increase or decrease (well, level out, anyway) the wedging. Still didn't help.

I switched to Sidi Genius 5 Megas and have been much happier with them. Anybody want a pair of Pro Carbons, size 44? PM me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.