Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Looks like the head tube and the seat tube paint/stickers is different in the pictures.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
was it a windsor? I think there still remains some mystery/controversy over what bike was actually used... kinda like Gene Sarazen's double eagle 4-wood and Bobby Jones's calamity jane putter.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
FatTireFred said:
was it a windsor? I think there still remains some mystery/controversy over what bike was actually used... kinda like Gene Sarazen's double eagle 4-wood and Bobby Jones's calamity jane putter.
While I cannot say for sure who built the frame, it most certainly wasn't a Windsor.:rolleyes:

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Richard said:
While I cannot say for sure who built the frame, it most certainly wasn't a Windsor.:rolleyes:

but you don't need to have built it to have the decals on it...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
FatTireFred said:
The story you linked to says the bike wore Windsor decals for the ride, in exchange for the sponsorship of the Mexican factory that made that brand. Probably when the bike was later put on display (wherever that picture was taken), it was re-decorated with the badges of its real maker. That's my guess, anyway.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
lots of differences... wheels, tires, seatpost. who knows, maybe the pic of him at the track was during testing or a diff day, or maybe the bike was painted and rebuilt some time in the past 35+ yrs

btw, Jim eventually got the picture signed, many yrs later

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
FatTireFred said:
lots of differences... wheels, tires, seatpost. who knows, maybe the pic of him at the track was during testing or a diff day, or maybe the bike was painted and rebuilt some time in the past 35+ yrs
I wouldn't be surprised if Eddy had used the bike again. He continued to race on the track to the end of his career.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The bike was made by Colnago, at least according to the man himself. I seem to recall reading that they were pissed that it was covered in Windsor stickers before the attempt. Hmmm.... Google turns up this article :

At the last moment Windsor stickers were slapped on Eddy's otherwise unlabeled bike. A distracted Merckx saw this as an acceptable way to thank his Mexican hosts (Windsor is a Mexican bike), but Colnago was infuriated.
So, if that is correct, the Merckx logos are not original to the bike either.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
And BD gets all the credit now lol.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
amazing story

anthony.delorenzo said:
The bike was made by Colnago, at least according to the man himself. I seem to recall reading that they were pissed that it was covered in Windsor stickers before the attempt. Hmmm.... Google turns up this article :

So, if that is correct, the Merckx logos are not original to the bike either.
Amazing story from Colnago. It struck me that the bike pictured is pure simplicity, then you read about all the effort spent drilling stuff out and welding titanium, etc., and realize it was actually state of the art for the day. This was no $500 Bianchi Pista.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/italia/2004/colnago/?id=colnago5

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Spinfinity said:
He prolly coulda set the record on any of the bikes pictured in this thread.
The Cannibal could have set his records on a damn unicycle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts