Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any idea as to the worth of a built (w/DA) but never ridden Kestrel 4000, signed by brent trimble himself?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you're looking to purchase, it's worth as much as you would like to pay for it.

If you're looking to sell, it's worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

Or, are you asking about value? In the end, with something like this, that has no real comparison, the question is totally abstract, and sort of meaningless.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
give you a quarter for it :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sorry, I was being a jerk last night- though I stand by my answer to a certain extent. I'm a bit tired of people asking how much things are worth- this is why:

There are some folk here that earn (dubious term) a ton of cash, and others here (here! ha! as if this was a place! totally different idea) that earn livin-ish wages. (all terms intentionally abstract)

Now- a bicycle, any bicycle, to the guy who doesn't own a car, and that really is how he gets to work everyday is worth a great deal, even if he doesn't pay much for it, even if it's a huffy, sort of like the man I saw on the train last week with his cantilever brake cable down to a single, yes ONE! strand.

You're talking about something different. Never Ridden, Signed, etc. You can change what it is by riding it- Indeed, the very notion of what the item is changes dependent on use. Furthermore, if we are considering this as a collectors item, you must also consider the market- not only time, but the likely patrons of said market. The art market is larger, and comprised of wealthier folks than the collectors bicycle market.

You have voluntarily joined the collectors bicycle market. No worries, no fees required. Relieved? What's it worth? What are you willing to pay? That's all it's ever worth.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh, Best thing- Buy it. Don't tell anyone what you paid. It's a stunningly odd bit of Americana that we have to tell everyone what we paid for things- just divides us all up even more...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts