Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at pedals and I'm seriously considering the Times....but can't decide if the Carbons are worth the extra cash. Since they're only 6 grams difference in weight, I have to assume that the Carbons are stronger. Does anyone know if this is true. I'm basing this on some of the reviews....

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
longhorn31 said:
Been looking at pedals and I'm seriously considering the Times....but can't decide if the Carbons are worth the extra cash. Since they're only 6 grams difference in weight, I have to assume that the Carbons are stronger. Does anyone know if this is true. I'm basing this on some of the reviews....
For my money the RSX is the way to go. Cost is no issue for me but having raced the MTB pedals for years I was comforatable the non-carbon grey composite plastic they use is more than tough enough. As far as I can tell the grey composite on the road pedals is the same material I bashed over and over on my mtb versions.

fwiw my rsx are going strong at a little over 9 months old.

·
Registered
919 Posts
teoteoteo said:
For my money the RSX is the way to go. Cost is no issue for me but having raced the MTB pedals for years I was comforatable the non-carbon grey composite plastic they use is more than tough enough. As far as I can tell the grey composite on the road pedals is the same material I bashed over and over on my mtb versions.

fwiw my rsx are going strong at a little over 9 months old.
Actually, for my money the RXE is the way to go. The only thing I like better about the higher level Times is the plating on the steel cleat clamp looks nicer.... As for the weight difference, you can leave 20ml or so of water out of your bottle.

·
Registered
432 Posts
longhorn31 said:
Alright. I have read this thread and your post, considering what you have said. You want to know the value added by going to carbon. When comparing the RXE and the base RXS the difference in weight is 270 and 265 grams respectively (as posted on the Time website). Both are steel spindles. For strength, then, I consider the spindle being the most important element of the pedal. The platform part does not factor in, in my opinion. The main difference is that the RXS has an adjustment for the float resistance while the RXE does not. Since you have made the assumption that the carbon is stronger, I believe you value strength. The cheaper pedal is as strong as the carbon-platform RXS. When you go up the scale, what do you get? You go from a grey composite platform with steel spindle, to grey composite platform with steel spindle and float tension adjustment. You then can step up to nice black carbon-composite platform with steel spindle and float adjustment that is approximately (as posted on the Time website) 6 grams lighter. To some people, light weight is a huge factor, but I am still assuming you value strength over weight.

Speaking of strength, when you go to the top-of-the-line with the Titan pedal, what do you get? You get a titanium spindle (definately not at stiff as steel (at the same diameter) and not as strong as steel (at the same diameter) so you sacrifice some strength in the spindle going from steel to titanium to save approximately 64 grams.

Note that I have not discussed price, but in considering value, price also is some of the factor, I believe. It's up to you to balance the factors and pick the sweet spot based on your evaluation. If you want my opinion, I would go with the cheapest pedal. I don't need float resistance adjustment and I appreciate that the design is a strong steel spindle, platform pedal for a road bike.

Oh, and just a kicker, I'm not a racer, so I use a pedal that can go on a mountain bike shoe with recessed cleats so I can walk comfortably and not have to carry with me and put on cafe' covers. I don't really see a functional distinction any more between the so-called road and mountain bike pedal designations anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been thinking about Time RXS myself. Isn't there a difference in the bearings on the different pedal models? Do any of the models have sealed bearings?

·
Registered
660 Posts
RXE vs RXS: my experience

I have the Carbon, steel spindled RXS on my main bike 3000 miles and they have worked great. I have about 300 miles on my foul weather bike with the RXE's my only comment is that IMHO both these pedals have a huge amount of float - I find them glacial in fact which I like but the RXS carbons and regular RXS I can adjust the spring tension , which says is for centering but also affects the resisitance release tension and I like setting that to the hardest on the RXS's because they float so much I feel as though I may come out of them (I haven't yet) one day.

BTW, I got my RXS carbon for a song on Ebay i think $125.. definitely check around.

Nik

·
Registered
24 Posts
If anyone's interested...

I sold one pair of RXS's (non carbon) to a forum member last week,and still have one pair remaining.
They're in excellent condition with only about 500 miles of use.
My size 48 feet require a larger platform than these Times provide.
Thanks again,
P

·
Registered
187 Posts
have used the RXEs for more than a year. they weigh less than 250g on my (non-digital) scale. the cleat is great. a piece broke off the front of the left pedal after a crash but that hasn't affected performance. based on experience with my off-road bikes where i've raced with both the high end titan carbon atac and the entry level alium, i would guess that if one is just looking to experience time technology but next year will probably get some new pedals, get the cheaper pedals. they're only a little heavier, easier to use at first and fully serivicable. if looking for a long term relationship, get the more expensive pedals. it's taken a couple of years, but i'm really starting to like the titan carbons.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Insight Driver said:
The platform part does not factor in, in my opinion..
There only issue is that according to reviews (ot this site) and post in "Components.Wrenching" RXE/RXS pedal platform has tendency to catastrophically broke.
So it is a factor (if this problem is not eliminated yet).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Price difference?

If there's a $30 price difference, then IMO the RXE is a good way to go. I have the RXS because they were on sale for about the same cost as the RXE. Nice set up (both pedals and cleats), and plenty of float.

I dunno about the failure part, but mine have been going strong. FWIW, I have had a couple of pairs of Time ATACs on my MTBs and they're very durable.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If you shop around you can get the RXE for $60, which is about twice the cost of the cleats alone! So far mine have performed flawlessly. From what I understand the additional adjustment on the RXS is not really the release tension but a (some say useless) elasticity setting.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
RXS Carbon

jmoryl said:
If you shop around you can get the RXE for $60, which is about twice the cost of the cleats alone! So far mine have performed flawlessly. From what I understand the additional adjustment on the RXS is not really the release tension but a (some say useless) elasticity setting.
FWIW - I just picked up a pair of RXS Carbons barely used for $81 on ebay. Put them on the scale just a moment ago. Cleats (incl mounting hardware) = 118g, pedals = 255g. 1g difference from one pedal to the next so likely the manufacturing variance isn't too much.

I have no experience using them. I'll give 'em a try tomorrow morning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts