Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it has finally happened.

Cell phones on airplanes - Ryanair of Ireland have now reached the point that they are going to allow cell phone use in flight.

Just imagine the delight of being in a metal tube full of peole screaming to be heard over the ambient sound, trying to drown out other passengers and sharing their oh so important lives with you, just because you happen to be on a plane.

And the delight of listening to the chorus of ring tones, just imagine; bleeping antelopes, Madonna, KIss..... whatever. :mad2:

The last place in the world where you actually still get away from the F'ing things.

I swear, if this comes to North America, I'm going to quit flying and go back to driving.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2009/02/21/boulden.ie.mobiles.airline.cnn

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
toomanybikes said:
So, it has finally happened.

Cell phones on airplanes - Ryanair of Ireland have now reached the point that they are going to allow cell phone use in flight.

Just imagine the delight of being in a metal tube full of peole screaming to be heard over the ambient sound, trying to drown out other passengers and sharing their oh so important lives with you, just because you happen to be on a plane.

And the delight of listening to the chorus of ring tones, just imagine; bleeping antelopes, Madonna, KIss..... whatever. :mad2:

The last place in the world where you actually still get away from the F'ing things.

I swear, if this comes to North America, I'm going to quit flying and go back to driving.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2009/02/21/boulden.ie.mobiles.airline.cnn

Having flown on Ryanair, cell phones will do nothing to distract from their flights.

Imagine an inner city bus with wings.

But yes, it will suck and hopefully it will only be on non-international flights. This summer I will have to fly from Seattle to Bahrain. I don't know which direction yet but I imagine it will be from Seattle to Amsterdam and then on to Bahrain. I can't imagine that flight with cell phones.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
"Ya!!! Hello??!?!!?!! Oh, I'm on the plane still...."....for the 200th time...

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
At about 3-4 dollars a minute, I'm sure it'll be used just about as much as those phones in the back of the seat.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Hopefully the dumb people will forget to charge their phones. I have noticed a distinct lack of power ports on domestic flights.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Actually, you can't get a normal network since I have tried turning my cellphone on at 50k feet high. Nada, zilch, nothing at all.

So, at that price FTF said, it'd be about the same as your credit card charge phones they have perhaps.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
FTF said:
At about 3-4 dollars a minute, I'm sure it'll be used just about as much as those phones in the back of the seat.
In computer marketing parlance this would be called a "feature"

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
I think its time to put my EE and avionics experience to use and make the TCAS safe cell phone jammer kit.
Think anyone would buy one?

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
After my last flight, to Jackson,Wy, I'm ready to quit flying just on the merits of stress alone. Flying used to be a pleasure, now it's just a mess, and uncomfortable and drinks cost $7.00.

I can't imagine "a flying tube full of phone talkers." Blech. It's bad enough listening to self-important suits go on and on about such and such business deal at the top of their lungs through a headset in the airport itself.

People just like the sound of their own voice way too much.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
After my last flight, to Jackson,Wy, I'm ready to quit flying just on the merits of stress alone. Flying used to be a pleasure, now it's just a mess, and uncomfortable and drinks cost $7.00.

I can't imagine "a flying tube full of phone talkers." Blech. It's bad enough listening to self-important suits go on and on about such and such business deal at the top of their lungs through a headset in the airport itself.

People just like the sound of their own voice way too much.
it may be worth the $7 to take a drink and toss it on the suit.....just sayin

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Exchanges swear by it and easyjet. They cost less than a bus!

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
firstrax said:
I think its time to put my EE and avionics experience to use and make the TCAS safe cell phone jammer kit.
i would

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
As it stands now, cell phone service doesn't have much vertical signal -- typically only up to around 5,000 feet above the ground in most places (particularly flatter terrain). So unless they make some major system overhauls to extend their vertical signal range to high altitude, cell phone use would be limited to near-ground phases of the flight (departure and approach).

·
...?
1,481 Posts
I was on a Greyhound bus, traveling through Ohio a couple years ago, and before we left the station the driver made an announcements about phones. It started out as a reminder to not be obnoxious, and some how turned into a rant. He said "And if any of you have those damn nextel walkie talkie things, turn the volume down. I do not want to hear this bus chirping all the way to Cleveland!"

Im so glad those things stopped being popular.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
firstrax said:
I would as well.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
This is where Pocket sized Dr. Suess comes to the rescue.

When some moreon starts gabbing on your phone and I will be whipping out One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue and start reading it aloud at an equal volume to the phone conversation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Generally flying sux.

I was on a flight last month that was delayed on take off because the annoying woman next to me refused to put her cell phone away before take off.

She was leaning forward to have her conversation, so that no one would see her.

Of course because she was leaning forward she probably felt the radio waves would not be able to find her so she was yelling her end of the conversation .........:rolleyes:

The conversation that was so important that 150 people had to have their days delayed???

Did the person on the other end remember to feed the cat? And what were they going to have for dinner when she got home?

I swear to god, if they start allowing cell phone usage on planes I will be behind bars very soon, right after I rip the phone out of the hands of the person next to me and throw it the length of the aircraft cabin.

·
Registered
850 Posts
toomanybikes said:
I swear to god, if they start allowing cell phone usage on planes I will be behind bars very soon, right after I rip the phone out of the hands of the person next to me and throw it the length of the aircraft cabin.

+11 venty:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.