Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to find a new bike for mostly road use with lots of hills but got into triathlons a couple of years ago but so far have been using the events as a focus to keep fit, so only doing 1-2 per year. I bought a specialized allez sport to get me started and now would like to upgrade.
As I am still a novice with the sport, I was looking for some advice. I really love the time trial bikes, but having never ridden one and I am a bit concerned about the use that I would get out of this on a weekly basis considering my training incorporates cycling lots of hills. So, I was trying to narrow down my options before finding the right ride.
I am considering the felt AR4 as although it is not an outright time trial bike, it is an aero road bike that may suit my general training and riding better and if this is a sensible option, are there alternatives, and also do I size the AR4 smaller to be more like a time trial geometry?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,151 Posts
they actually had a write-up about this in roadbike action magazine, i think the january 09 issue. they compared TT bikes vs. aero bikes at lowe's motor speedway, and put them both in the wind tunnel and all that jazz. the result, if i remember right, was that the TT bikes performed better, but for all intents and purposes, the aero road bike would serve just as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your comments - my gut feeling was to go for the road bike also.
My next question was with regards to sizing - I currently ride a 54 specialized, that seems fine but I have been told to go for a smaller size for time trialling. If this is the case, would it be better to go for a smaller size frame, say 51 so that I can use the road bike with clip on bars to get into a tuck position, or does this adversely affect the way the bike will feel in the normal road position.

·
Registered
205 Posts
get the frame that will fit you for what you will be doing the most of. I have the Ridley Noah, also an aero frame, which I use mainly for road but am going to do some TT events this year as well. I bought clip on bars to use for the TT's and other than adjusting my saddle a little forward I havent had to do any other adjustments in going from road to TT. Dont get something that ends up being too small for the road riding. If the 54 just feels fine but not a perfect fit you could drop down a size but a 51 sounds a bit extreme. but check the actual geometry and not just go by 54 or 51. Get fitted or at least look at the geo on your existing bike. Make sure the new one is comparable in actual measurements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts