Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Most brands stretch well, but Pearl used to make a shiney, coated one, that didn't stretch at all. As far as durability, its sort of up to you. If you don't pay attention to how you put your foot down, scrape your toes on the pavement, etc, they won't last very long at all. Its basically a piece of lycra on your feet. The best ones I've used are Nike, but they are hard to find. Buy 'em cheap and buy 'em often and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have the Pearl Izumi ones which I actually use as wind booties for cool days. They are also pretty water resistant. They have a clever closure system, which is that the zipper locks when the tab is locked. though it has failed while I was pedaling which pretty much forced me to stop. They're also falling apart a little after a year due to being so tight over the shoe. One of the most useful thing about them is that they are very thin, so no chance of rubbing on the crank (I toe out) and I can also put a 2nd pair of heavy booties if there is truly a lot of rain or if it's cold. I've worn these two pairs of booties in 0C weather and my feet were not cold (with my normal summer socks on). Overall, I would recommend them.

-ilan

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
samh said:
Do time trial shoe covers fit easily over shoes? Are they durable? Any recommendations?
I won't say they fit easily over the shoes, but they are not hard to put on. They should fit pretty snug since you don't want them flapping anywhere and you want to pull all your straps as close to the shoe as possible.

Durabilty...some are durable some are not. Most are just a Lycra covering, some a bit thicker. If you put them on right before your TT and take them off just after and don't walk in them, they are plenty durable, but if you walk with them on they can have a pretty short life span.

My favorites are these: Pearl Izumi They are both fairly aero, but also help when the weather isn't so great since they tend to shed water a fair amount (though your feet are still going to get wet).

Also, don't get a set that zips all the way down. Get a pair with a partial zipper. I've had zippers slip down on me before and if they come all the way undone you are not going to get them back up during a race...where as a partial zipper you can reach down quickly and pull them back up.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
UCI 1.3.033
It shall be forbidden to wear non-essential items of clothing or items designed to reduce air resistance. During road and mountain bike races, clothes and over-garments may be essential items insofar as weather conditions suggest this. In this case, the nature and texture of the apparel must be clearly and solely justified by the need to protect the rider from bad weather conditions. The judgment is left to the race commissaires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.