Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys..

i just gotten myself the VXR'06 module last month..

and now i begin to wonder, if i'd made the right decision to get the VXR instead of the VXRS

is there a significant difference between the two framesets (apart from the integrated seat tube of VXRS?), in terms of stiffness, ride quality etc? :confused:

some guy has offered to buy my VXR'06 module and i risk losing 500bucks although it's only a month old.
should i stick to the VXR?:(

appreciate any comments and feedback..

cheers!

·
Registered
277 Posts
You probably know the answer to your question. How much of a difference of an integrated seatpost do you think there is? Geesus.

The vxrs is higher for poser points that's for sure. If you dropped $4K on a time frame & you're willing to piss away $500 more to dump it, I'm betting that's a pretty big concern for you, so you should 'prolly get the vxrs and be done w/ it.

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the comment..

spot on that the integrated seat tube yields a higher degree of stifness..but question is, is it significant and does it offer an overall better ride??
i have never ridden the VXRS or any bike with an integrated S/T as such i 'm not certain of the answer...

it seems like the VXR is a tad slower in response than my previous Eddy Merckx MXM frameset (E.M comes without the integrated seat tube, but yields a higher degree of stiffness..),

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
The Carlster said:
You probably know the answer to your question. How much of a difference of an integrated seatpost do you think there is? Geesus.

The vxrs is higher for poser points that's for sure. If you dropped $4K on a time frame & you're willing to piss away $500 more to dump it, I'm betting that's a pretty big concern for you, so you should 'prolly get the vxrs and be done w/ it.

Who are you calling poser, poser? :)

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Maverick said:
spot on that the integrated seat tube yields a higher degree of stifness..but question is, is it significant and does it offer an overall better ride??
i have never ridden the VXRS or any bike with an integrated S/T as such i 'm not certain of the answer...

it seems like the VXR is a tad slower in response than my previous Eddy Merckx MXM frameset (E.M comes without the integrated seat tube, but yields a higher degree of stiffness..),
The integrated seat tube has no bearing on the handling differences between the Merckx and the Time. Head angle, fork rake etc will.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
keep it

Maverick said:

When I purchased my VXRS in late '04 I was also looking at the VXR and the Merckx MXM. I discussed the differences between the three options with a WScience rep. and he pretty much convinced me that the VXRS was at that point time the ultimate choice of the three. In '04 and '05 the VXR still had an aluminum BB shell while the VXRS frame was and is 100% carbon. I don't like frames that have mixed materials and VXRS was a better fit for my dimensions than the MXM anyway. I haven't seen any specific listings about how stiff the MXM is but I've heard the forks on that bike leaves something to be desired. Many take issue with the fact that the VXRS retails for 4.5K but don't seem to consider the fact that the price includes the frame, fork, hs, stem, seatpin/mast, and etc. Add those comparable extras to the price of a C-50 or the like and the price would in the same neighborhood.

Getting to the bottom line... I'm very happy with my VXRS. I've owned some primo bikes over the years and none better than my VXRS. However, now that the '06 VXR is 100% carbon I don't think there's much difference and I would hold onto it if I were you. If were to buy another bike tomorrow it would probably be another VXRS or VXR. The only other bike I'd consider right now if I wanted the ultimate stiffness to weight ratio would be the Cervelo R3. If I were to consider the R3 I'd wait until the end of the season to see what the word on the street is after all the chatter about the alleged Cervelo QC problems from the R2.5 days. Then again I don't think the R3 would offer me the best fit for me.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
ultimobici said:
The integrated seat tube has no bearing on the handling differences between the Merckx and the Time. Head angle, fork rake etc will.

I agree... the integrated seat tube/mast not a big deal in terms of handling/performance.

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the comment rocco and e'one..

appreciated the unbiased feedback and comment..

guess with that, i will hold on to the VXR'06..;)

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,257 Posts
I gave both the VXR and the VXRS decent test rides. I couldn't tell one iota of difference between them. Every single aspect felt exactly the same.

In other words, don't get all beaten up over the fact you ended up with the cheaper model. Anyway, if you did get the VXRS, in a couple weeks you'd probably want to trade up for an Ulteam.

As for me, I ended up buying an Edge Translink...which is a little bit softer, a little bit more relaxed, and a little less rigid and explosive than either of its higher-priced brothers. Being a lazy, spacey bum, it suits me fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts