Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

i'm having this dilemma, either to get the Time VXR or add a little more $ for Colnago Extreme C.

both are equally good lugged carbon frameset, point to take note is that the Time VXR is also a sub 1000g frameset, although not as light as Extreme C in comparison

i once owned the Eddy Merckx Team SC, and the Merckx MXM.
current bike is Viner EOM 16.5 steel with D/A 10spd

I'm 132 lbs, enjoys climbing. looking for a race purpose bike which is stiff and sprints wonderfully
will keeping the Viner steel as an everyday and training bike

personally, i love the 'almost standard' geometry of the Time VXR as compared to Extreme C's sloping geometry..
(Time VXR has a slightly slope toptube, but not as much as the Extreme )

would appreciate if anyone can add some feedback/comment or share views on the above.

thanks and ride safe!!!

·
Life In the big ring
239 Posts
Doctor Who said:
Get the Time.

Those bikes are hotter than the sun.
Agreed, However, the VXR may not hit the country until late next month. I've got one coming as soon as they land.

I have to say that if someone had the two bikes in front of me and said "take one". I'd ride off on the VXR.

I've always wanted a Colnago, but I've always wanted a Time more!

BTW... why not the VXRS?

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the opinion but...

any particular reason on that?

Colnagos have been around for almost haf a century(i think) while Time has only started making frameset less than 5yrs ago...my guess is Colnago has more experience than Time (???) looking at the number of lugged carbons,C40, C50, Extreme C introduced by them for last couple of yrs

anyhow, personally i still prefer the Time VXR for its no nonsense 'race only' kinda look

appreciate any feedback

·
Life In the big ring
239 Posts
Maverick said:
any particular reason on that?

Colnagos have been around for almost haf a century(i think) while Time has only started making frameset less than 5yrs ago...my guess is Colnago has more experience than Time (???) looking at the number of lugged carbons,C40, C50, Extreme C introduced by them for last couple of yrs

anyhow, personally i still prefer the Time VXR for its no nonsense 'race only' kinda look

appreciate any feedback
I've ridden the C50 and the VXR, VXRS, and Edge. Colnago has history, tradition, and experiance in their corner. Time has science, technology and an impressive number of wins in the last couple of years in their corner.

As much as I liked the way the C50 handled, I liked the VXR better. The C50 seems to handle better the faster you go. Time's handling is very deliberate... Almost like the bike is on rails. The ride of the Extreme C is obviously going to be lighter and stiffer than the C50, but the geometry is the same.

That said, you certainly can't go wrong with either one
Oh... Time's lifetime warranty is pretty appealing too.

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks [email protected]

VXRS..well it's way beyond my budget

furthermore the extended seat tube on board the VXRS has little flexibilty for me.

btw, why not the Colnago?
price wise, not much difference between the VXRS and Extreme C

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VXR and VXRS..

well [email protected],

you've tested the VXR and VXRS. is there any significant difference between both frameset?

have read some reviews stating that the VXRS handles a little harsher as compared to the VXR.
i do not know for sure of the above statement

I have no chance to test ride any of the given frames and would appreciate any comment from you.

thanks!!

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[email protected] difference between VXR '05 with VXR '06??

i cant seem to find any specific changes between both '05 and '06 VXR frameset..color wise, it looks similar

i'm afraid the lbs may sell the '05 frameset as '06 to unsuspecting buyers like me (or maybe us??)

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Maverick said:
i cant seem to find any specific changes between both '05 and '06 VXR frameset..color wise, it looks similar

i'm afraid the lbs may sell the '05 frameset as '06 to unsuspecting buyers like me (or maybe us??)

All carbon BB shell thus all carbon frame.

·
Life In the big ring
239 Posts
Maverick said:

Hey Maverick - I am a Time and Colnago dealer. There are no 2005 VXR modules left at Time so If someone sold a 2005 to you, it would be out of their current stock. BTW, if someone has a VXR that they can sell you right now, It's a 2005. The 2006 modules have not landed yet.
The difference between the two is the '05 had an aluminum bb shell. The '06 uses a carbon bb shell and gloss finish. I think that's it.

·
Life In the big ring
239 Posts
Maverick said:
well [email protected],

you've tested the VXR and VXRS. is there any significant difference between both frameset?

have read some reviews stating that the VXRS handles a little harsher as compared to the VXR.
i do not know for sure of the above statement

I have no chance to test ride any of the given frames and would appreciate any comment from you.

thanks!!
I wouldn't call the VXRS harsh.... Then again I have some pounds on you. I did notice right off that the VXRS was more responsive. Very stiff laterally.

I know Rocco has put more time in on a VXRS than I have. He has one that looks to be a human propelled rocket. What says you Rocco?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Surf enough boards and you'll find various strangers willing to opine on the vast superiority of one or another of these first rate pro frame sets. I have good personal experience with Colnago geometry, but that's me (and I've never been on a an extreme C).

Lets face it, properly set up, neither one of these things is going to hold you back. It seems to me that there are two questions you might ask yourself, apart from cost and availability. Does one or another have a geometry--front to back--that you know you like? Does the image of one or another really float your boat?

·
Registered
5 Posts
- well I tried them both, and i couldnt tell any difference between the two - was advised by a team provider NOT to get the translink on the VXRS because a few have sheered off at the top tube - check out boonens , he's got a seat stem, both very light & stiff frames. The extreme C comes in traditional sizes as well as sloping and has a greater selection in size - which swung it for me - and I remember colnagos as a kid - heres my 53cm

www.furbert.com

·
Life In the big ring
239 Posts
djg said:
Surf enough boards and you'll find various strangers willing to opine on the vast superiority of one or another of these first rate pro frame sets. I have good personal experience with Colnago geometry, but that's me (and I've never been on a an extreme C).
Was someone claiming "vast superiority? I think Maverick was asking about the differences. My impression is that this is not a "which-bike-is-better" thread. I hope it doesn't become one.

djg said:
Lets face it, properly set up, neither one of these things is going to hold you back. It seems to me that there are two questions you might ask yourself, apart from cost and availability. Does one or another have a geometry--front to back--that you know you like? Does the image of one or another really float your boat?
I agree wholeheartedly.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Maverick said:
both are equally good lugged carbon frameset, point to take note is that the Time VXR is also a sub 1000g frameset, although not as light as Extreme C in comparison
!
Extreme-C isn't sub 1000g. An average size 56 is about 1050g and the fork is around 390-395g cut to size. The VXR is likely to be heavier as the VXRS Ulteam is close to 1100g calculated.

·
Life In the big ring
239 Posts
divve said:
Extreme-C isn't sub 1000g. An average size 56 is about 1050g and the fork is around 390-395g cut to size. The VXR is likely to be heavier as the VXRS Ulteam is close to 1100g calculated.
I'm curious as to where you get your weights. It sounds like real world experience?
I have an Ulteam here, but can't weigh it as some knuckle head broke our gram scale.
Time's claimed weight:
Ulteam frame only = 915grms (med)
VXRS frame only = 970grms
VXR frame only = 995grms

Colnago's Extreme C claimed weight = 925grms.

Sure manufacturer's claims aren't always accurate, but to the tune of 200 grams? I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
200g extra is nothing new for Colnago :) The Time weight I got from the German Tour Magazin where they've tested both the VXRS and VXRS Ulteam.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts