Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that most of you guys already know this, but Tiorati Brook Road (one of my favorites, dammit) is closed - not just to cars, but, unless you're willing to hike 50 yards through a ravine, also to bikes.

This is a massive construction project. Given the length of time that it took to get the bridge on Kenawakanee/Rt 106 replaced a few years ago, Tiorati Brook Rd will be out for a couple of years, minimum, at a guess.

----------

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'm sure that most of you guys already know this, but Tiorati Brook Road (one of my favorites, dammit) is closed - not just to cars, but, unless you're willing to hike 50 yards through a ravine, also to bikes.

This is a massive construction project. Given the length of time that it took to get the bridge on Kenawakanee/Rt 106 replaced a few years ago, Tiorati Brook Rd will be out for a couple of years, minimum, at a guess.

----------
That really stinks!! Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about doing this between now and October for sure.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That really stinks!! Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about doing this between now and October for sure.
NP, I wish I had known. I went there on the tandem with my wife. We are a novice tandem team, and I thought I'd introduce her to one of my favorite cycling roads. We went down Lake Welch drive to Tiorati, had to get off the bike to get around the barrier, then had to stop after about 1/2 mi. Then, back down, off the bike again, then up Lake Welch drive. Not my favorite climb - no shade, and a fair amount of traffic - people going to Lake Welch - not all of whom are willing to cross the barrier of death (the double yellow) to give cyclists a decent amount of room.

---------------

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
<header class="page-header" style="color: rgb(89, 89, 89); font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 24px;">Harriman State Park: Tiorati Brook Bridge ReplacementPosted on <time class="entry-date" datetime="2015-08-06T18:26:32+00:00" style="text-decoration: inherit;">August 6, 2015</time> by Paul Weisenbacher
</header>Harriman State Park: Tiorati Brook Bridge Replacement
Tiorati Brook Road will close starting August 17th for the repair of the culvert/bridge that currently has a weight limit reduction. Unfortunately the road needs to close this early to afford enough time for the contractor to make the repairs before next season taking into account time periods they can work in the stream under the DEC permit. The road will be closed just after Day Camp and at end closer to the parkway.
Bill Ledwitz
Group Camp Director
Harriman State Park: Tiorati Brook Bridge Replacement - Thendara Mountain Club

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
50 yards through a ravine doesn't sound so bad.
There were people doing it. If I was on my single, I would have thought about it, but I probably still wouldn't have done it. With a tandem, in clippy shoes, and with my wife - no.

------------

·
Registered
528 Posts
Friend and I did the hike last Saturday. We climbed from the bottom. It was no big deal with almost dried up creek. 3 more riders came and did the hike as we were taking a bio break. Look on the plus side; no cars flying by and annoying motorcycle noise.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I went up that stretch a couple months ago...and had a pack of high-speed down hill skate boarders blast past...followed shortly after by a cop.

Also did a Full Moon ride last month in Harriman that was awesome. Almost zero cars at midnight.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Rode to Tiorati and back from Manhattan's west side yesterday. 106 glorious miles, but the garmin cut out for 10 so i have to go back and redo. Better than Bear I think. Now about that sunscreen I forgot to use.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just got in a 22 mile pre work ride. up willow grove, across Lake welch parking lot. Up tiorati brook road. Across 7 lakes to Kanawauke road and back home past lake Welch again.

I saw 2 cars the whole time in Harriman. Beautiful morning weather. It is not 106 mile day out on the road, but I wonderful 1:30 minute ride to start the day.

Luckily for me I don't have much issue with needing sun screen. I constantly forget chap stick. Argg.

cmn

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Just got in a 22 mile pre work ride. up willow grove, across Lake welch parking lot. Up tiorati brook road. Across 7 lakes to Kanawauke road and back home past lake Welch again.

I saw 2 cars the whole time in Harriman. Beautiful morning weather. It is not 106 mile day out on the road, but I wonderful 1:30 minute ride to start the day.

Luckily for me I don't have much issue with needing sun screen. I constantly forget chap stick. Argg.

cmn
106 was not by choice. I just don't live that close to Harriman :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts