Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to tip my 40 ounce to Sherpa23. Super knowlegable and experienced, Sherpa23 wrote great in-depth level-headed advice and observations and never had the look-at-me attitude.

I just found out yesterday, while reading through old threads, that he choose to stop posting here almost a year ago. While, obviously, I didn't keep tabs on him, I always enjoyed reading what Sherpa23 had to say (on topics that are taboo here in the lounge) knowing that every word could be trusted. I would encourage anyone to go back and take a look; you will probably find something useful.

Sherpa23, I hope you choose to join in the discussion again someday. Until then...thank you.

Sincerely,
Tshirt

P.S. I should also tip my forty to J's. Wait, he's still around? Oh well, just wishful thinking I guess. ;)

post 300

·
Registered
727 Posts
word friction, that bottle looks like what i do when i'm biking at night and can only find empty bottles, not bathrooms.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Yes, it was really a shame. The circumstances surrounding why he stopped were because of some idiot member seriously criticising his posts and their validity. And in fact questioning his him as a person, which really sucked. Sherpa23 was a good guy. We seem to have lost some really good people recently.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
727 Posts
hmmm i looked up some of sherpa's old posts. he claimed to have had a national championship, colorado state shampionship and world championship top-10's or something. OH MY GOD, he was BOB ROLL!!!! or, just a guy that got a little carried away and lied a lot. he did seem to know his stuff though.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
cmatcan said:
hmmm i looked up some of sherpa's old posts. he claimed to have had a national championship, colorado state shampionship and world championship top-10's or something. OH MY GOD, he was BOB ROLL!!!! or, just a guy that got a little carried away and lied a lot. he did seem to know his stuff though.
Sherpa23 was always on the up and up. RBR needs members like him with his racing and carbon fibre knowledge. I really don't believe that he was lying.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Sherpa was real......

Lonefrontranger rode with him frequently and I exchanged e-mails with him several times. He was & is who he said he was.

He also was a great resource to those that listened to him.....and a realloss to the board.

Len

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Len J said:
Lonefrontranger rode with him frequently and I exchanged e-mails with him several times. He was & is who he said he was.

He also was a great resource to those that listened to him.....and a realloss to the board.

Len
I too always liked Sherpa23 and pm'd him as well on occasion. Thanks Len! His absence is our loss.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
cmatcan said:
His posts always seemed to be well-informed, but after he left I decided to check and pretty easily tracked down his real name, among other things. As Len said, he was legitimate and he was actually very humble, usually only mentioning his credentials when people questioned him repeatedly and rudely. It was sad to see him go.

·
Registered
727 Posts
nate said:
His posts always seemed to be well-informed, but after he left I decided to check and pretty easily tracked down his real name, among other things. As Len said, he was legitimate and he was actually very humble, usually only mentioning his credentials when people questioned him repeatedly and rudely. It was sad to see him go.
wow, well i apologize. there's no denying that he was super knowledgable about carbon frames and other equipment, and especially if he was the real deal as a cyclist like that, it definitely would be awesome to still have him as a resource. i did wonder about that, that it wouldn't be too hard to find his real name if what he said was true, because not many have all those credentials. too bad i fell among the skeptics at first there-the guy replying to a thread about two specific parlee and colnago frames just happens to have owned them both and been a former top national rider-i guess i'm always skeptical about people's personal claims on the internet. too bad to lose the exception to all the gloating and exaggerating that goes on around here sometimes. (just check the weight weenies forum to see what i mean!!):)

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
cmatcan said:
Umm, dude, he DID win all of those and more. I know who he is. Moreon. Now go sit down.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
cmatcan said:
wow, well i apologize. there's no denying that he was super knowledgable about carbon frames and other equipment, and especially if he was the real deal as a cyclist like that, it definitely would be awesome to still have him as a resource. i did wonder about that, that it wouldn't be too hard to find his real name if what he said was true, because not many have all those credentials. too bad i fell among the skeptics at first there-the guy replying to a thread about two specific parlee and colnago frames just happens to have owned them both and been a former top national rider-i guess i'm always skeptical about people's personal claims on the internet. too bad to lose the exception to all the gloating and exaggerating that goes on around here sometimes. (just check the weight weenies forum to see what i mean!!)
Humm, WW, you mean Zakeen? Well, he's the real deal too, there was a interview with him on CN recently or perhaps you are talking about Carsian, more real deal material. I've never seen someone exaggerate to that extent on any message board.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
FTF said:
Humm, WW, you mean Zakeen? Well, he's the real deal too, there was a interview with him on CN recently or perhaps you are talking about Carsian, more real deal material. I've never seen someone exaggerate to that extent on any message board.
I take it that you mean Casran, he's a flemish amateur rider and general Mr Know-It-All PITA guy. On a Dutch forum he keeps correcting peoples spelling, all done in flemish dialect :rolleyes: . He's like that on tech topics as well, correcting people spewing BS at the same time. He's a name-dropper and his act will wear thin in time when people start getting annoyed.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
rogger said:
I take it that you mean Casran, he's a flemish amateur rider and general Mr Know-It-All PITA guy. On a Dutch forum he keeps correcting peoples spelling, all done in flemish dialect :rolleyes: . He's like that on tech topics as well, correcting people spewing BS at the same time. He's a name-dropper and his act will wear thin in time when people start getting annoyed.
Never met the guy, LJ seems to be more of the name dropper, IMHO. I guess carsan dosen't seem that bad in comparison.

Edit: I was thinking of the U23 quickstep guy, I guess he's a friend of carsans? I guess that shows how much time I spend at WW.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
hey you, don't be taking my coach's name in vain!

Late to the party as usual. T-Shirt, thanks for the kudos on the Sherpa.

My ears were burning and I heard someone casting aspersion unto my former mentor. I don't give a rat's hairy bum about myself but no one calls out my dude.

cmatcan, FTF is my own personal student. Sherpa23 was my personal coach for 2 years. We all know each other. We are all real people. Trust us, Sherpa23 is for real and was a bona fide first tier pro. Great jumping merry jesus on a barberpole, dude rode for Francaise de Jeux! He was a points race and madison machine, and was shortlisted for Athens until he had a career ending injury.

He still goes to Interbike for Bob Parlee every year, if that makes a difference.

One of the reasons the Sherpa left the forums (besides the assclowns flaming him but that never actually stopped him before, he's a stubborn Type A bastard and thrives on conflict) is that his first child was born February 05 and he's a full time stay at home dad.

·
Registered
727 Posts
lonefrontranger said:

My ears were burning and I heard someone casting aspersion unto my former mentor. I don't give a rat's hairy bum about myself but no one calls out my dude.

cmatcan, FTF is my own personal student. Sherpa23 was my personal coach for 2 years. We all know each other. We are all real people. Trust us, Sherpa23 is for real and was a bona fide first tier pro. Great jumping merry jesus on a barberpole, dude rode for Francaise de Jeux! He was a points race and madison machine, and was shortlisted for Athens until he had a career ending injury.

He still goes to Interbike for Bob Parlee every year, if that makes a difference.

One of the reasons the Sherpa left the forums (besides the assclowns flaming him but that never actually stopped him before, he's a stubborn Type A bastard and thrives on conflict) is that his first child was born February 05 and he's a full time stay at home dad.
k, relax, you obviously only read my first post, not my second post in this thread, which was an apologetic retraction/explanation. there is something to be said for reading the entire thread before jumping in, misinformed, guns-a-blazin'. i made that mistake in this thread already, now you and ftf are doin the same. breathe.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
LFR!!!!!:D Yer here!!! We miss you bunches.:cool:

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
... his first child was born February 05 and he's a full time stay at home dad.

Hi LFR,
Glad to see you're still with us, even as a lurker. We miss you girl!! Sherpa23 a full-time stay at home dad, eh? Tell him hi from Wayne and mention that he is more Swedish than he realises :) . Heaps of full-time dads here.
Cheers, Wayne

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
yeah I'm still alive

jptaylorsg said:
Someone's been lurkin'!
Not so much. Been busy and with a ton of stuff going on. I've gone back to coaching like I mentioned and my 2 students take up a considerable amount of spare time, plus I'm volunteering with IMBA, took some classes, got my 'real' job and a couple of new hobbies.

Proof that I'm still alive, albiet much bedraggled and windburned from the ride home (posted that last salvo from the coffeehouse). It's cold outside tonight!

first shot, my new hobby.

second shot, my new(est) bike.

go figure.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts