Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know how many of you have a Shimano Flight Deck computer but for those that do and find yourself inadvertently turning it off in the middle of a ride, I will pass on this tip. First off, I like the computer but I was always turning it off in the middle of a ride. I would switch it to a setting where the left button did not do anything and invariably, I would end up switching it back to a different function (without knowing it), than the left button would turn it off. It got so bad that I was going to take it off and send it back to Shimano and ask for my money back. (Of course I wouldn't get it, but I was mad enough about it that I didn't care).
Then one day I got to thinking about it and the significance of the fact that the only function of the left button was to turn the thing on or off, so I took a piece of cork tape, about 1 inch square or less, punched a 1/8 inch hole in the center and placed it square over the left hand button, underneath the hood.
Now, it takes a lot of pressure to turn the unit on, but that's fine. You can do it if you try, but there is no way you will turn it off by accident now, it now stays on the whole trip. So, with this fix, I am back to liking this computer. I do find it handy to see a visual of what gear I'm in sometimes. I do a lot of city riding and it comes in handy.

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I've had this computer on 2 bikes now. The first one was never an issue. The second, I've been ready see how far I can skip it down the road a few times with that issue. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had the same problem - my solution was to buy a Garmin 705 and bag the flight deck. Was a shame really as I like the controls on the hoods, but I kept turning it off on every climb abd really getting soiled over it - wish I had seen your solution earlier - very slick idea.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cohiba7777 said:
I had the same problem - my solution was to buy a Garmin 705 and bag the flight deck. Was a shame really as I like the controls on the hoods, but I kept turning it off on every climb abd really getting soiled over it - wish I had seen your solution earlier - very slick idea.
Yes, I fought this thing for a year and was almost to the point of removing it when I had an ephifany and figured out this very simple solution. I can finally use it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.