Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to the future wife's fancy hair place to get a haircut before the wedding. The only person there who cuts men's hair is the owner (a dude). The place is pretty high end and has been open forever. I have always heard that one does not tip salon owners, but I can't picture walking out of a haircut without tipping. What does the lounge say?
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
lampshade said:
I am going to the future wife's fancy hair place to get a haircut before the wedding. The only person there who cuts men's hair is the owner (a dude). The place is pretty high end and has been open forever. I have always heard that one does not tip salon owners, but I can't picture walking out of a haircut without tipping. What does the lounge say?
Just give them $3-4 and stop worrying about it.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Creakyknees said:
It's sucking my will to live!

<img src=https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w4KrwqY9Z6I/TC6dioaUrmI/AAAAAAAAAlI/M84veKYIA2E/s1600/Waynes_World_Suck_and_Cut.jpg>
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
lampshade said:
I am going to the future wife's fancy hair place to get a haircut before the wedding. The only person there who cuts men's hair is the owner (a dude). The place is pretty high end and has been open forever. I have always heard that one does not tip salon owners, but I can't picture walking out of a haircut without tipping. What does the lounge say?
You tip the person that cuts your hair.

If that person happens to own the chair you are sitting in at the time, so be it.

The idea behind that rule is that in most places, the stylist 'rents' space in the salon, and no additional tip is due to the 'landlord.'
 

·
still shedding season
Joined
·
8,849 Posts
lampshade said:
I am going to the future wife's fancy hair place
Question: Why? Apparently what you've been doing is good enough to get you hitched. :)

I went to wifey's place once. I'm used to walking out in 15 minutes, maybe an appointment made the day before if I have a lot going on that day, and a pretty reasonable price. When you walk in and they direct you to a fancy couch and the espresso machine, you realize you're in for a completely different experience...
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
kykr13 said:
Question: Why? Apparently what you've been doing is good enough to get you hitched. :)

I went to wifey's place once. I'm used to walking out in 15 minutes, maybe an appointment made the day before if I have a lot going on that day, and a pretty reasonable price. When you walk in and they direct you to a fancy couch and the espresso machine, you realize you're in for a completely different experience...
And still your hair ends up looking pretty much the same.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kykr13 said:
Question: Why? Apparently what you've been doing is good enough to get you hitched. :)

I went to wifey's place once. I'm used to walking out in 15 minutes, maybe an appointment made the day before if I have a lot going on that day, and a pretty reasonable price. When you walk in and they direct you to a fancy couch and the espresso machine, you realize you're in for a completely different experience...
I am not that excited about it, but she went a few days ago and made me an appt. It is also convenient to a bunch of errands I am running, so I figure why not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
i moved to so cal a couple months before my wedding...then found a barber, went once to make sure i liked the cut before committing to the final. i'd be a bit nervous to go into a high end salon for the first and only cut before the wedding. then again, the one and only time i went into a 'salon' i should have just stuck my finger in a light socket and saved my money. YMMV. congrats!
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
pigpen said:
Wife says you don't tip the owner.
Maybe so, but I still don't think it'd hurt to throw him $3-4.
 

·
Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Ask Her

lampshade said:
I am not that excited about it, but she went a few days ago and made me an appt. It is also convenient to a bunch of errands I am running, so I figure why not?
Don't ask us, ask her. She is the one who made the appointment and has to live with the salon in the future if you tick them off by being cheap.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,886 Posts
my wife cut my hair.....I refuse to tip her.....


oh...and I read the original post as "tripping" the salon owner....that MAY be a consideration....
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
i wouldn't try anything new, before an event of such importance.

before my wedding i went to the same barber at the same fantastic sam's, as usual.

haicut looked good. but i should have had my nails did, there were pix made of our hands with rings, and i'd done the standard man-nail-cutting before the wedding (e.g., used a hacksaw to take off the extra).

then again, i'm very happily divorced now (6 years), but that's an entirely different lounge thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haiku d'etat said:
i wouldn't try anything new, before an event of such importance.

before my wedding i went to the same barber at the same fantastic sam's, as usual.

haicut looked good. but i should have had my nails did, there were pix made of our hands with rings, and i'd done the standard man-nail-cutting before the wedding (e.g., used a hacksaw to take off the extra).

then again, i'm very happily divorced now (6 years), but that's an entirely different lounge thread.
Great call on the nail thing. Between all my hobbies/sports/yardwork mine can look pretty rough. I'll start trying to whip them into shape.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
lampshade said:
Great call on the nail thing. Between all my hobbies/sports/yardwork mine can look pretty rough. I'll start trying to whip them into shape.
get a manicure. they will not only trim your nails evenly, but will also prune all the dead skin around your nails. a "professional" photo will magnify "imperfections" such as these x1000.

also, skip getting married.

go to vegas, get your h&b on, instead. less expensive, more enjoyable, and less regrets.

good god, man...do it for the children.
 

·
Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Saloon

Touch0Gray said:
my wife cut my hair.....she refused my tip in her.....
Fixed it for ya. Be careful around those scissors or she may fix you! Just like cooking bacon, don't get haircuts while naked.

Touch0Gray said:
oh...and I read the original post as "tripping" the salon owner...
That's OK, I read it as tipping the salOOn owner. Heck, for 6 months I thought they were opening up a new bar next to my office. Imagine my disappointment when they opened and I realized they were cutting hair in the salOn and not serving drinks in the salOOn.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
empty_set said:
That's almost insulting! Tip appropriately or not at all (if it is the owner).
What's an appropriate tip for a hairstylist? My haircuts are a little over $20. I generally give them $3-4 which is over the recommended 10%. How much do the greedy bastards want? It probably takes them 20 minutes top to cut my hair so I figure that even at $25 including tip they are making nearly $100 an hour just for cutting my freaking hair.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top