Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Saturday, a small group of us (5 or 6) are doing a point-to-point ride - 110 miles. We've all done centuries. Well, I've done one. This will be "self-supported" in that it's not an organized century/ride - we're just riding from point A to point B. The thing that makes it tricky is the heat - starting temp expected to be 78; finish temp around 93.

I'd love to get any tips you guys may have for surviving 100+ miles in the heat.

Current plan...
- Typical high (volume and quality) carb meals in the days preceding.
- Lots of fluid intake the day, night and morning of the ride
- Endurolites - probably a couple the night before, several pre-ride and a couple every hour during the ride
- Carrying 4 24 oz. bottles: 3 Accelerade; 1 water; plan on drinking at least 24 oz/hour; balancing intake with upset stomach and cramps.
- Plenty of Gu; Clif bars, a snickers and a planned 10 minute snack break
- Sunscreen, lightest (color and weight) jersey I have, white helmet

What am I missing?

Thanks.

· Registered
6,078 Posts
Probably the best thing you can do is getting really hydrated. Start downing a lot of water the day before. Your urine should be clear.

Four 24 oz botlles of fluids???? That's a lot. Aren't there places along the way you can stop and buy some food and drinks? Sounds like you're packing for a ride across the desert or something. I find it useful to carry those candy size ziplock bags with enough powdered drink mix (gatorade, cytomax, etc) to fill a single bottle (no measuring). You can always find water somewhere.

A ten minute food stop???? Plan to stop somewhere for lunch. I much prefer to eat some real food during a century to all energy bars or the sweet crap they serve at organized centuries.

· Registered
58 Posts
Just my humble opinion here. You already hit on the endurolytes, I swear by those for hot and humid rides. I take as many as 4 per hour starting right at the beginning of the ride. On a recent 85 and humid ride century here, I was going through 24oz of liquid every 20 to 30 mins, so never underplan liquids. As for calories, I don't change that for hot days, I just stick to trying to get around 300/hour. The big thing I've run into with heat and humidity in the past is cramping and HR zooming through the roof. When I follow the guidelines, they work for me. YMMV.

OldZaskar said:
This Saturday, a small group of us (5 or 6) are doing a point-to-point ride - 110 miles. We've all done centuries. Well, I've done one. This will be "self-supported" in that it's not an organized century/ride - we're just riding from point A to point B. The thing that makes it tricky is the heat - starting temp expected to be 78; finish temp around 93.

I'd love to get any tips you guys may have for surviving 100+ miles in the heat.

Current plan...
- Typical high (volume and quality) carb meals in the days preceding.
- Lots of fluid intake the day, night and morning of the ride
- Endurolites - probably a couple the night before, several pre-ride and a couple every hour during the ride
- Carrying 4 24 oz. bottles: 3 Accelerade; 1 water; plan on drinking at least 24 oz/hour; balancing intake with upset stomach and cramps.
- Plenty of Gu; Clif bars, a snickers and a planned 10 minute snack break
- Sunscreen, lightest (color and weight) jersey I have, white helmet

What am I missing?

Thanks.

· Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should've mentioned, I've got the little snack sized ZipLocks with powder for fluid refills. Depending on the frequency of stops, I may not refill two of the four (two on the frame, two on seatpost) bottles. Although, the extra water would feel good dumped on my head occasionally.

· Registered
2,620 Posts
Too late for the key item, unless you've already been doing this.

You need to get acclimated to heat.

Takes 7-10 days roughly to build up your blood plasma.

You do this by being in the heat (even if just sitting out, mowing the lawn, or whatever) and dringing lots of water.

I work in an office so the weeks I don't ride outdoors in the afternoon, I drive with the A/C off just so I'll get hot for awhile each day.

I'd even try to get a little heat today and Friday but certainly not overdo it.

· Meow!
1,449 Posts
What time are you starting the ride? If it were me, I'd be on the road by first light. The longest summer ride I've done in the past (160 miles in mid July) starts at 7.

I'd add that all of you should be well versed on the signs of heatstroke and how to treat it. It can make you somewhat irrational, so you need to be watch one another for signs of it. And if you yourself start feeling sick, be prepared to stop. Don't try to tough it out.

I'm a big fan of Payday candybars on hot days. I would assume that Snickers bars would just melt.

· Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MerlinAma said:
Too late for the key item, unless you've already been doing this.

You need to get acclimated to heat.
I guess I got lucky on this one - 'cause I didn't plan it... but I'm about as acclimated to heat as I could get... I work in an office (at home) - but spend quite a bit of time (off the bike) outside - stained the deck(s) twice, extensive lawn work, etc. etc... always outside... and very often, sweating to the point that I gotta strip down in the garage!

· turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
I freeze about half a bottle the day before, fill it the rest of the way in the morning and drink that one last (since I only carry two bottles generally). They do melt quickly, but at least the water's somewhat cooler than ambient temps. I've also become a fan of a good mesh base layer recently, really does help cool your core much faster IME.

· Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
indysteel said:
What time are you starting the ride? If it were me, I'd be on the road by first light. The longest summer ride I've done in the past (160 miles in mid July) starts at 7.

I'd add that all of you should be well versed on the signs of heatstroke and how to treat it. It can make you somewhat irrational, so you need to be watch one another for signs of it. And if you yourself start feeling sick, be prepared to stop. Don't try to tough it out.

I'm a big fan of Payday candybars on hot days. I would assume that Snickers bars would just melt.
Our goal is to be rolling by 6:15 or so (6:30 at the latest). This is about as early as we can do it with out lights.

Regarding the heat stroke/exhaustion, most of us have experienced it either personally or managed teammates who have. And, as (more) luck would have it, there are two docs on the ride - one of whom is an ER doc.

Good call on the Payday - happens to be one of my favorites too.

· turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
jsedlak said:
You know what would really help, but probably hurt your back if it isn't up to the job? A camelbak. Add ice to it the day of and it should stay very cold throughout the ride. Having cold water constantly on tap will be a HUGE benefit.
There's a fine line with cold water on hot days, at least for me. Too cold and I tend to cramp up.

· Registered
2,655 Posts
Pacing

Temps don't seem that bad and I assume you've been riding in those conditions although perhaps for not that distance? As others mention, start early.

Humidity can make a huge difference in addition to temperature.

Do you know the route and if so, do you need to carry all that fluid vs refilling along the way?

On centuries, I always am mindful of not going out too fast for the first couple of hours. If you're not racing on this ride, this should be easy.

Sounds like you have the rest nailed down or other posters have mentioned them.

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
jsedlak said:
You know what would really help, but probably hurt your back if it isn't up to the job? A camelbak. Add ice to it the day of and it should stay very cold throughout the ride. Having cold water constantly on tap will be a HUGE benefit.
as well as the fact that the ice cold water on the back is a GOOD thing to help keep the body temp down. I have done centuries in that kind of heat. One thing to remember is....IT AIN'T A RACE.....screwups could be fatal!

pace yourselves......drink LOTS......our motto was "drink and pee....no IV"

I would also recommend carrying a plain water bottle...(no gatoraid) to wet yourself down with ...those holes in your helmet........make good water holes!

fwiw....if you are lucky the humidity will be under like 60%

· Registered
1,652 Posts
Replacing the elctrolytes are key, After a while the water doesn't do as well as the Accelerade/Gatoraide, because you lose a lot of salt. Be sure to recognize the symptoms of Heat exhaustion: heavy sweating, paleness, muscle cramps, tiredness, weakness, dizziness, headache, nausea or vomiting, and fainting

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.