Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have planned for a long time to ride my first metric tomorrow during a supported ride.

I am so bummed that the weather has been so bad in central Texas this week. Last week we had sun and 80's. This week rain, high in low 40's, north wind.

The forcast for tomorrow is:

7AM 38 degrees, slight chance of rain,light north wind
10AM 43 degrees, slight chance of rain, light north wind
1PM 49 degrees, slight chance of rain, light north wind

Keep in mind that I'm a texas girl... I'm cold in anything under 60.

Tonight when I get home, I gatta find my tights, my base layers, my full finger gloves, my wool socks, my toe covers, my arm warmers, my ear covers, etc...

Add to that I better take my waterproof breathable windbreaker.

I just looked out the window, it's a steady rain. I'm thinking that I should put on my race blade fenders, too. The person I picked my packet up from yesterday recommended that we bring old tennis shoes to walk from the lot to the start, and we can leave our shoes there till we finish, so as not to get our cycling shoes all muddy.

Should I find a shower cap to cover my helmet?

I've only ridden in the rain a few times, and that was just for a short commute to work and back.

Any tips to help me out? I'd really like to accomplish my goal tomorrow, and not wuss out and take a shorter route. I hope they have hot chocholate or coffee!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm in Austin and this week has sucked except for Monday.

Yeah, a helmet cover is nice. Rest of your gear looks OK. You're going to be colder before and after, not while riding, so prepare for that.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hang out at the start and take off when the rain lets up.
Ride fast - be wet and cold for as little time as possible
Have a means to carry clothes that are making you too hot.
Get a tight fitting wool sweater at Good Will. Dump it if you don't need it.
Keep riding. It's a lot colder when you stop.
Have dry clothes, a towel and a hot lover at the finish.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Spring in Texas is like June in Wisconsin. If you know you're going to be wet there's two ways to be:

-dry
-wet but warm

If you have wool or polypro wicking layers use 'em. I'm sure you know cotton is evil. Rain shells are a must for your upper half. I wouldn't use a shower or swim cap, but I would use a bandana/do-rag. If your LBS doesn't have any stop by any Harley-Davidson dealer. They'll have do-rags in all sorts of cloths and colors.

I'll let you in on a secret but don't tell the others. I hate having cold, wet feet. A NY Times newspaper bag over the top of a pair of wool or poly-wool socks keeps the cold & wet away. Your lower half may get wet but your legs are moving so your circulation should keep you from getting chilled.

You're a lady so you don't need to protect the same Junk us guys do. Let's just leave it that shrinkage occurs in cold conditions.

But as far as your bottom reacting with being wet from tire sling and sitting on a wet chamois, That's a personal tolerance. I'm usually good in the temperature range you're riding in because as I said before, my circulation helps.

If you can find a clip-on fender, that will go a long way toward keeping your nether-regions dry and happy. I have the upper fender for my fleet.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have dry clothes, a towel and a hot lover at the finish.
Now there's a good tip!

Hot lover will be riding with me... he may be cold and damp by then... I'll see what I can do!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bandana, got it.Thanks for the tip. I have several. I have plenty of wicking stuff, including a wicking underarmor cold gear turtleneck that I wear when it's below 50 and dry. I didn't think about not wearing any cotton but other than a sports bra I'll be sure to stay with stuff that dries faster.

I have wool socks. I have cold weather tights to go over my shorts, and knee warmers if I'm really freezing. I have a good breathable waterproof shell. I have the race blade clamp on fenders. I offered to pick another pair up for my husband, but he declined (cheap-scape). So if he's all nasty from the water thrown off his tires, he better not whine to me about it! If he sprays me, I plan on whining loudly.

Having a towel and dry clothes at the finish is a good tip. Especially the towel. And dry socks.

I'll probably horrendously over dress. Oh well. I can stuff it all in Jersey pockets if I need to. I'll have a small empty handlebar bag for storage too, if I get too warm. I'm honestly not thinking that I'm going to be warm unless the sun magically comes out and turns it into a sauna.

It's absolutely dreadful outside right now. I need a fireplace and flannel pajamas and some hot tea!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
To be honest, it's all attitude. Assuming you are clothed right, just accept the weather and make it your goal to have a great time. Then you will.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Loraura said:
I have planned for a long time to ride my first metric tomorrow during a supported ride.
Is this part of the BP MS150 training ride in Houston?

Just curious. I got an e-mail from them this morning and they were talking about rain.

One more tip. Don't ride "on the paint" if you have a choice. Painted lines on the road are slicker than the other part of the road.

I live up in the panhandle and we're having nasty weather today.

Forecast for tomorrow afternoon is low 50's and 10-12mph wind (calm by our standards).

Our group rides start at 1:30pm this time of year so we should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
it has been postponed............re-scheduled for Next week,

Due to inclement weather and conditions out at the ranch
the ride has been postponed and rescheduled for NEXT Saturday March 21st.

if it doesn't close out i'll be doing it. maybe will be back in the 80's by then.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cmg, can you link me to where you got that? I don't see anything on the ride site saying it is postponed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Take an extra pair of socks to put on if it stops raining during the ride. Where a cycling cap under your helmet if it doesn't have a visor to keep water out of your eyes. Keep a piece of cloth in a ziploc bag to dry and clean your glasses at rest stops.

A waterproof jacket is good if the temperature is cold. Above 55 degrees I find them too hot to wear when riding hard, plus I just get soaked from my own sweat anyway. A waterproof vest is good in the 50s and 60s. Fenders are great. I have a small splash shield for the front wheel (strops on to the downtube) and a clamp on rear fender I use if its definitely going to rain.

Remember the painted lines on roads are very slippery when they are wet, so be careful of them.

If you are riding in the rain, wipe off your brake pads and wheels rims at the rest stops to keep your braking up to par.

Once you get rolling, you will forget how cold or wet it is.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
You definitely can put "hardcore" on your cycling resume if you're intending to ride that metric in the rain!

The windbreaker is a good idea because even if it isn't waterproof, it will trap your sweat and allow your body to warm up the sweat underneath it, keeping you from chilling. If things get bad, borrow a garbage bag from one of the rest stops. Poke holes in it for your head and arms. You may have to tuck it into your shorts, but it'll definitely keep you warm.

Wicking base layer, jersey, gloves; I'm sure all that stuff has been mentioned in the above posts. A wicking skull cap or balaclava (does anyone in Texas actually OWN a balaclava?! I didn't think it got that cold there!) is a must-keeping your head warm will do wonders and even if you don't use it, it will be handy just to have it available. Definitely put the fenders on.

Hot liquids aren't a bad idea, and be sure to eat a little bit extra before and during because in cold/wet weather your body will burn more calories in an attempt to generate heat.

Don't worry if you feel you're wearing too much clothing. It's better to sweat than freeze in those conditions and you can always ditch something and return for it later in a worst case scenario.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Now that you've gotten all this good advice, you need to go ahead and ride tomorrow anyway. It will be good training.
Just show up for the ride and convince a few of the people who didn't "get the word" to ride with you. After all, they were committed enough to show up!

·
Registered
370 Posts
If we didn’t ride in this type of weather up here in the PNW we would never ride so here are my 2cents

- Over dress and take it off.
- Good gloves
- Good booties
- Eat and drink - hard to do in cold wet
- Keep your head toasty

And take it easy on your "Hot Lover" – cold does bad things to his kit.

Have a great ride – no such thing a bad ride – some are just “mo better”.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Loraura said:
It's absolutely dreadful outside right now. I need a fireplace and flannel pajamas and some hot tea!

Hot T? I've never been called that before. Oh well, then, If your husband won't step up to the plate.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
If you are ever riding in the cold rain, the best advice I can give you is to not stop unless you absolutely HAVE to, and then, make it as fast as possible. Once you start to cool off, you'll have a miserable time warming back up again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts