Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some wheels from a LBS last year and after about a month of using them I noticed a vibration from the the front under braking. Frustrated, I took them back there thinking they had gone out of true already. They put it on the truing stand and it was perfect.

The mechanic then said it was some residue on the brake surface so he went at it with an eraser for a bit. "That'll fix it!".. The next time I took it out, it was even worse! I went back and talked to the owner and he agreed it was likely a brake surface issue, however he admitted that his mechanic had probably made it worse by using the eraser like he did.

He called the manufacturer to see what they would suggest ( I was hoping for a warranty claim ) but they told him that it would wear out on its own in a few hundred miles. Well I'm going on 600 miles since then and it hasn't improved 1 bit.

I took it back last week and expressed my frustration and he called the manufacturer back again and they clarified that it may need to be a few hundred DOWNHILL miles... Ugh.. Apparently this isn't a warranty thing because I must have done something to make it uneven in the first place and this is a "wear item".

So, I'm now trying to figure out if I can do something to resolve this on my own since the LBS and manufacturer seem to not want to expend any extra effort on my behalf.

Anyone had to deal with this before? Suggestions on how to smooth out the surface?

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Try cleaning the entire braking surface of the rim with denatured alcohol. Avoid rubbing alcohol as the typical rubbing alcohol actually has oil added to it for lubricity while rubbing it onto skin. You're just trying to remove any built up brake pad material that has transferred to the rim surface from braking, usually near the seam.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
ScotchBrite

fitnerd said:
The mechanic then said it was some residue on the brake surface so he went at it with an eraser for a bit. "That'll fix it!".. The next time I took it out, it was even worse! Anyone had to deal with this before? Suggestions on how to smooth out the surface?
Common practice is to use a ScotchBrite pad (or equivalent) to simultaneously clean, roughen, and even out the rim surface. Fine sandpaper and a sanding block are another approach. Happens all the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I had previously tried brake cleaner on it but I didn't think about alcohol. I think that Kerry is on to something with the scotchbrite and I will give that a shot right away. Thank you!

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Scotch-Brite Pad and Simple Green will remove dust, dirt, rubber debris and aluminum particles from the rim braking surface.
I also make it a habit to wipe my brake pads with a Micro-Cloth and a little Solvent/Gumout to remove dirt, debris, and aluminum particles that can get embedded in the brake pads and chew up a rims brake surface.
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts