Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
ibsailn said:
So I want to put a different geared cassette on my new road wheels (don't really need a 32 tooth gear on the road), but I really don't want to have to mess around with my drailler when I change from road wheels to knobbies and back. The cassette on my "off-road" wheels is a shimano Deore XT (CS-M760) 11-32. I was thinking 11-25 for the road wheels. What is the trick to maintaining smooth shifting with both cassettes. I had a SRAM PG-970 (11-32) cassette laying around so I put that one on last weekend, but in the middle of the cassette I was getting a lot of ghost shifting, particularly when I got out of the saddle to climb a hill.

Thanks
When you say lying around, is cassette old as this seems text book explaination for worn casette on newer chain (or vise versa) especially in middle cogs - most commonly used on wide spread casette. Never usually have a problem switching wheels, maybe the odd tweak of limit screws but very rarely, most stuff is similar aged though. Try and match similar worn parts if possible this should help.

·
Registered
405 Posts
ibsailn said:
When you switched wheels, did how did you match cassettes (company, model, or not at all)?
Hmm interesting, I do no specific matching, I've got shimano and sram chains, and shimano, sram and campy cassettes (all 9sp) but like i say all similar wear i.e. within 1000 miles use. Is the bike used? maybe chain is worn, not new sram cassette.

Barrel adjuster is what will need playing with if problem persists. (knurled nut at end of cable, derailleur end) or maybe inline adjuster on cable near shifter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.