Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
formed a 8'x8'x0'-4" slab today for a dog kennel. I've called around about getting ready mixed trailer from concrete places but the only one around that did that is out of business so looks like i'm mixing bags of quikrete. I figure it will take approx (50) 60# bags to gitterdone. Recruited my brother and his truck to pick up and drop off the bags and hopefully stay and help me pour it. Anybody here have experience doing a slab w/ quikrete? Any pointers as far as watering it for how many days and such? It's just for a dog kennel so it isnt goin to have much weight on it and don't need a mirror finish.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
yup. roughly the same size for a trash can/utility pad.

if mixing in a wheelbarrow, don't mix more than 2 bags at a time. trust me.

use rebar or something- we used hardware cloth (basically wire fabric) and it worked great- zero cracks. find some way of suspending said reinforcement about 1/2 way through the slab.

bags of concrete are heavy. be prepared to be sore.

//furst.

////as for watering, about once a day for 2-3 days.

//////get a decent trowl

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
supposedably this stuff has enuf aggregate (rocks) u dont need rebar or wire. i'm already sore from diggin it out, i'm not used to Emmanuel Labor.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
there is no way you can hide a body in that narrow slab.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
rent a c-ment mixxer. can't be too expensive.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my wood has a bow in it.

·
Super Moderator
40,840 Posts
Yep to all those, plus the general masonry advisories of don't overwater your mix, and don't play trowel wizard and overwork the concrete.

Like Ron Popeil says, "set it and forget it." (Well, other than the part about keeping it damp until the curing's done.)

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xxl said:
Like Ron Popeil says, "set it and forget it." (Well, other than the part about keeping it damp until the curing's done.)
how long does it typically take to cure, or how do I know when it's cured and i can quit pee'n on it?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
You should be able to get some bolsters from Home Depot for cheap to suspend the rebar.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
gutfiddle said:
supposedably this stuff has enuf aggregate (rocks) u dont need rebar or wire.

that's a lie.

joe

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
that's a lie.

joe
Agreed! :thumbsup:

Wire mesh or rebar is your friend. If you really want to do it on the cheap just use some rocks to keep the rebar above the ground.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
2cflyr said:
kode fer shur.
you have increased your post count by 1% in the last hour

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
that's a lie.

joe
I'm going to have to agree with joe here- a 4" thick slab should have something. not rebar (overkill) but think chain-link fence wire- all connected. the hardware cloth we used was left over from a rabbit hutch project, so it was free.

chicken wire might work.

the stuff we used looks like the 2" square here: http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/category/~category_id=TWPCAT_14

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
50 60 lb bags might be too much- make sure you can return the unused bags. i think that my comparable pad was only about 30 bags, but i can't remember if i used 60lb bags or 90lb bags, so YMMV.

- get it delivered- save yer back.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
tomk96 said:
rent a c-ment mixxer. can't be too expensive.
Yep. +11111111111111111111.

For 50+ bags of KwikCrete, a small gas-powered or electric mixer that can accommodate 2 bags at a time will be the best money you spent all day. Do it. Just do it.

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
cheaper to get rid of the dogs...................they'll only wind up maiming kids..................

1 - 20 of 84 Posts