Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Saris Bones that has seen some limited use. I usually just ride rather than take my bike somewhere to ride. However, this week the wife, kid and I are headed on vacation and want to bring the bikes and bike carrier. Problem is the weather forecast predicts rain on the drive up.

Other than putting plastic bags over the saddles, are there any other "rainy" tips you guys have for transporting bikes? Anything specific about trunk-rack transport for a 4 hour drive? I will be triple checking the straps after about 20-30 minutes of driving.

Also, I will be bringing along some basic tools, cleaner, lube, and rags for the week.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
weltyed said:
I have a Saris Bones that has seen some limited use. I usually just ride rather than take my bike somewhere to ride. However, this week the wife, kid and I are headed on vacation and want to bring the bikes and bike carrier. Problem is the weather forecast predicts rain on the drive up.

Other than putting plastic bags over the saddles, are there any other "rainy" tips you guys have for transporting bikes? Anything specific about trunk-rack transport for a 4 hour drive? I will be triple checking the straps after about 20-30 minutes of driving.

Also, I will be bringing along some basic tools, cleaner, lube, and rags for the week.
Cover the seats, find a clever way to secure the front wheels of each bike from swinging, and be careful of sharp objects (i.e. cranks etc) contacting either bikes or the car.

Usually even with a car-the bikes are in the slipstream-and see little rain so long as the car is kept moving at speed.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
I cover my saddles, because they're Brooks and the leather takes forever to dry. Otherwise I don't take any special precautions--trying to wrap the bikes in a tarp or whatever is more trouble than it's worth, and you leave fragments of plastic all along the route. Most bearings are pretty well sealed these days (of course I lube the chain, brake pivot points etc. before I ride, because that stuff could get blasted clean by wind and rain). If you're worried about the headset etc, you could put a piece of clear plastic shipping tape over it (or any other kind of tape, but that's cheap, waterproof and not ugly).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.