Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 60 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts

ID (I got mine from roadid.com . Definitely made my wife feel better once I started wearing it. Recently in the area on the news were a couple of incidents of people hit on bikes with no ID, and the nightmare of trying to ID/locate someone. I almost wear it all the time now out of habit that way I don't forget it. Also useful on walks/hikes as well, or any activity where you don't want to carry a wallet etc.

I always carry a cell phone and at least a couple of goo pouches in case I feel bonkish. I've seen some say carry change for the phone.. Well first I hate carrying change on a bicycle... Second it only works if you can even find a pay phone anymore, and if you ride out in the country, not likely...With the increased use of cell phones, pay phones seem to be slowly disappearing from the scene.

On the other hand, cell phones are pretty common and you can likely find a driver or someone that has one in pretty short order in an emergency.

Also on carrying the cell phone, if rain, or chance or rain, a nice zip lock plastic baggie works well to protect it as it sits in your seat bag and gets sprayed from the road spray.

·
Registered
98 Posts
fred said:
This one's an old wive's tale. See Jobst Brandt's views:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/talcum.html
I never heard it reduces flats; I use talcum powder to keep the tube from sticking to the inside of the tire. Makes mounting tires and changing tubes a bit easier and might allow a smidge of slip to reduce wear on the tube (though the latter is purely conjecture).

·
Registered
54 Posts
stairs too!

xxl said:
Best tip I haven't seen here is one I learned from a family of racers: when moving your bike in tight quarters (like between two cars in the garage), stand the bike on its rear wheel, holding it by the handlebars, and walk it. It is so much easier that trying to get your bike from scratching the side of your other non-bike stuff, and so simple.
this is the best for going down stairs too. You can even use the rear brakes to help control - helpfull if you've got an old, old house with steep skinny stairways.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
A QUICK scan of the tip threads and I did not see this one, but if it is a repeat so what?

When riding past parked cars, look in the side mirror of the cars. This will let you see if anyone is in the driver's seat, and about to pop the door open. You don't have to stare into the mirror, just a glance will show if there is motion inside. This has saved me more than once.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just now learned this yesterday. If you lean the rear wheel against something like a fire hydrant and turn the handlebars toward the object your leaning it against, it will stand on its own. For some of the otherstuff like putting your bike on its back tire to go down stairs, I'm surprised everybody dosn't know that. Of course you could say the same thing about the leaning thing :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
YES KIDDIES SUPERGLUE!
You can use it to close cuts and wounds after you have cleaned them with your water bottle. THANKS TO A VETERAN MEDIC FOR THIS TIP. They have started using it in the Operating room to close wounds that leave only TINY scars
It can be temporarily used to close slashed tires for the ride home( worked when I was 40K out and I ran over a hidden sharp pipe that was stuck straight out of the ground!)
It even seals skuffs in your paintwork and prevents rust on steel frames.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Early detection of car motion

Learned this from a motorcyclist. If you're keeping an eye on a car that's perpendicular to you and may pull out, watch the front wheel. You can detect the motion of the wheel starting to rotate sooner than you'll notice the forward motion of the car itself. Also, if you're watching a car moving in the same or opposite direction as you, again watch the front wheel. You can see it start to turn in your direction before you'll see the car moving over. It may just be a split second advantage, but sometimes that's all it takes to save your butt...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ok - two tips. The first one is an opinion... the second is more of a tip.

IMHO, The best upgrade to a bicycle is not the frame, wheels, components... the best way to improve your bicycle is to upgrade the engine.

Here's my tip. If you have your road bike shoes on you are stranded with a disabled bike several miles from anywhere and you can't get anyone with your cell phone; take the shoe liner out of your shoes, put it in your socks and put your socks back on - with the shoe liners in your socks. That will give your feet some protection from blisters, and your calves some protection from straining. You may ruin the socks and you may even ruin the shoe inserts, but your feet will be more likely to be blister free. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
next time you're in a

hotel room take the shower caps with you. I use them during rain rides. If it's cold rain it goes under the helmet. If it's warm, most of the caps fit over a helmet. you may look a like a dork, but your head is dry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Never Ever

NEver EVER force your pedals around when they sudenly jerk to a stop for one reason or another or SOMETHING will in your drivetrain will dynamite!!

Dynamite: : verb
to break apart explosively.
dynamited: My rear derailer dynamited because I forced my bicycle pedals to complete a revolution.

Never EVER pass moving cars on the right; especially where there are places for them to turn right without warning. Cars that are going slowly enough for you to pass them usually are getting ready for a turn in one direction or another.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Heres one that i don't think has been mentioned. Tired of carrying levers? When you get a flat use the skewer of the wheel you just took off, mkae sure you save the springs and try it first at home, don' t blame me if you're stuck confused in nowheresvillie wiht no levers. This is a major show off skill whne riding with friends.

·
Registered
170 Posts
seahuston said:
Heres one that i don't think has been mentioned. Tired of carrying levers? When you get a flat use the skewer of the wheel you just took off, mkae sure you save the springs and try it first at home, don' t blame me if you're stuck confused in nowheresvillie wiht no levers. This is a major show off skill whne riding with friends.
One question: why? To save the 4 of 5 grams of weight that levers add you want to go through the hassle of having to take the skewers completely off AND increasing the chances of tearing the tube during a remount (especially with deep dish wheels)?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cheap Stuff For Chilly Rides

Beyond the obvious things when the weather gets cold--long sleeved jerseys, tights, fingered gloves, wool blend socks--the following are cheap and make a huge difference:

--neoprene shoe covers
--mesh backed vest
--wicking skull cap and base layer (Under Armor or equivalent)

Arm warmers are cheaper than buying a bunch of long sleeved jerseys, plus they can be taken off if the weather warms.

The "loose fit" line from Under Armor also makes good, relatively inexpensive jerseys if you can do without zippers and pockets. Plus, they are sized for human Americans instead of pencil-like Italians. (No insult intended--I'd love to be a pencil-like Italian.)

41 - 60 of 332 Posts