Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my tires now and I am looking for a new set, I am looking for any suggestions. I train roughly 150-200 miles a week and do some races. Also I am looking for any websites that has some good deals. Any info is greatly appreciated,

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Wide choices

trekman10 said:
I have to replace my tires now and I am looking for a new set, I am looking for any suggestions. I train roughly 150-200 miles a week and do some races. Also I am looking for any websites that has some good deals. Any info is greatly appreciated,
You can pretty much pick a tire from any of the leading manufacturers (Continental, Michelin, Vittoria, Vredestein, etc.) at comparable price points and the performance will not differ that much. You have to make the standard tradeoffs between durability and weight. Look for sales and get a color you like :)

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
I just replaced a set of Conti GP4000s with some Vittorias. The Conti 4000s served me well on the rough roads around here. I'm trying out the Vits tonight. I'd think that any quality tire would do the job. I wasn't too happy with the stock Maxxis Fuses that came on my bike. What a huge difference replacing those made!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
long time conti gp4000s user, decided to try some other tires for a change (probikekit for all my tires). Got a set of Race3s and Vittoria Diamante Pro 2s. Like the Race3s a lot - better road feel than the 4000s, but don't look to be as durable. I was disappointed with the Vittorias - was looking forward to the higher tpi, but found them surprisingly harsh - also the side, softer compound rubber is not holding up. Will go back to the 4000s next - best combination of rolling, cornering, and durability to me...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Lest people make a common mistake, as there are a few tires called Grand Prix 4000, we are talking about the Conti Grand Prix 4000 S - the 'S' is all-important.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
If you want training tires, the Mich. Krylions (sp?) are gonna be a great 'bang for the buck' tire. The previous version: HiLite Prestige tires I had on several wheelsets wore like iron. Didn't especially ride as nice as some, but for training tires, I'd rather have durability over just about anything else. Oh, and they need to come in at about $20.

Fast training tires, racing tires are a different critter. I'll spend a little $$ on them...

M

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I got some Veloflex Black from PBK. Kevlar belt, handmade in Italy by former Vittoria employees. I've been using them for a month, and they are my favourite tire so far re:
Vittoria Rubino Pro, Diamante Pro Lite, Michelin Pro Race2, Conti GP 4000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts