Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Obviously not doping
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have only been riding since the middle of march, but have put about 700 miles in since then, and the Bont. tires that came on my Trek 1500 flatted. alot. the last time (yesterday) I was going downhill, and thankfully already starting to break for the stop sign when I heard a loud bang and started weaving all over the road. The tire and the tube acutally blew apart along the sidewall, well beyond repair. :mad2: So I call my wife to pack our 3 kids up at 7am and drive 10 miles to come get me. She loves doing that for me. I have already replaced them with Conti Gatorskins, and rode 25 miles this morning and love them, once I finally got them on the rim. My question is, what would have caused a major malfunction like that? My two thougts are 1) The brake pad was too close, causing heat and expansion, and blamo, or 2) the bike was an 04 leftover when I got it this march, perhaps the rubber had begun to deteriorate. maybe a combination of the two? I really don't want this to happen again if I can avoid it, so any suggestions on how that could have happened so I don't do that anymore would be greatly appreciated. thanks a million.

· Registered
205 Posts
Be careful out there..

1) Heat- very unlikely. Now, if your brake pads are out of adjustment and rub on the tires... that's a whole other story.

2) Defect... maybe, not likely. Sidewall blowout in tube and tire usually comes from snagging a sharp rock or piece of sharp metal crap... starts a little rip, then the tube starts bulging... then POW!

You'll like those Gatorskins. My GF has about 2,500 miles on hers- and finally flatted yesterday. Looks like a sharp piece of wire got her right in the sidewall... the tube was punctured twice. Looked like a teeny-tiny rattlesnake bit her tube. Before that, she wore her Gatorskins to the threads without a flat. Change your tires more often than that, and it's good you are not adverse to paying for quality tires!

About Gatorskins- you pay for the strength in weight and a bit of a hard ride, and the sidewalls are not bulletproof- keep an eye on the kevlar threads. They are good in rain, and would be my choice for distance on roads with debris. I like Michelin Megamium2 (for long rides they seem very plush, handle cold and rain well, are sturdy and fast) and Michelin Carbons- a bit harder and just as strong, seem faster (but my times don't actually go up-- oddly enough) and I worry about them in rain. Anyways, these and Gatorskins are all being discounted and I think they're all real good for their given style.

So... now ya know why I visually check my tires before every ride, then cup my hand around each tire and roll a revolution... just trying to feel bumps, lumps or whatever. I do the same thing on a ride when I think I maybe ran over some crud: the front tire is easy to feel (and clean off as you are rolling); the rear tire is an odd reach. It should be obvious why we wear gloves, right?

Now you know why I miss tubulars. Yeah, they were expensive- but even if you blew your tire to flinders, you had a spare.

'meat

· Registered
5,358 Posts
carry a boot

If you still have the old tire around, cut it up to make boots. A boot is a couple inch long section of tire with the beads cut off. When you slice a tire, you put the boot under the tire at the slice, to protect the tube while you ride home.

Check your brakes to make sure they are not rubbing on the tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.