Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my bike had some Hutchinson Top Speed (Kevlar) tires on it. I say had, because today during a 7.7 mile trip, the front tire un-seated itself and caused a tube to blow.

On a straight path, there's no reason why a tire should pop off the rim and go swoosh swoosh swoosh swoosh POP!

I'm going to be doing my first triathlon in july, and I have seen some "triathlon" tires. Would you reccomend these over say, Pro Race 2's or any other popular good tire?

Thanks, your insight is wonderful.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Blowout diagnosis

djh2 said:
the front tire un-seated itself and caused a tube to blow.

On a straight path, there's no reason why a tire should pop off the rim and go swoosh swoosh swoosh swoosh POP!
Actually, the primary reason this happens is that when the tire was mounted, care was not taken to insure that the tube was fully inside the tire. The small amount of tube under the tire bead then slowly works its way the rest of the distance and extrudes out the edge, resulting in exactly the situation you experienced. It is amazing how many days this can take.

Short of a badly damaged or deformed tire, or an actual sidewall failure, operator error during tire installation explains virtually every instance of what happened to you. IOW, there is likely nothing wrong with your tire, and if you properly install a new tube, you won't have any further trouble. It's very unlikely that the blowout damaged your tire. Experiments have been run where the tire bead was cut every few inches, and the tire held onto the rim at full pressure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't understand why this happens now though. I rode for 28 miles, brought my bike inside and it sat with 80 psi in the tires for almost a week. Pump them up to full pressure and took it out.

You're saying that it took just over 30 miles for the tube to creep out and blow? That just seems odd to me.

Also, since that tube was put in, I put over 50 miles on the bike without taking the tube/tire off.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
I changed tires, rode 30 miles, it was sitting on the deck and the tire literally blew OFF THE RIM......I was incredibly glad it didn't happen on my 30 mph run down a grade on the way home, considering it was the front tire..... have made VERY sure my bead was seated properly since then.....and the tube where they belong. That would have been catastophic

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you guys are telling me that if I buy new tubes, and make sure they're seated right for sure that this isn't going to happen again?

The tires don't have a strong bead, I don't need levers. Apparently this doesn't matter though and it's the tube not seated right. On that note, what's the best way to seat a tire, and check to make sure its seated right?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
djh2 said:
So you guys are telling me that if I buy new tubes, and make sure they're seated right for sure that this isn't going to happen again?

The tires don't have a strong bead, I don't need levers. Apparently this doesn't matter though and it's the tube not seated right. On that note, what's the best way to seat a tire, and check to make sure its seated right?
no I am ADDING to what Kerry said......make SURE the beads are hooked into the rims properly...when I change a tire I pump it up to about 30 or 40 pounds then I let the air back out...then I go around the perimeter of the tire, both sides and push the bead in and inspect to see that there is NO tube visible..then I put 10 pounds or so in it and press the TIRE casing into the wheel and make sure it is hooked in.. then I pump back up to 40 or 50 and examine to see that the bead spacing is even all the way around both side...if it passes inspection, I fill it up.
I sounds like a lot of OCD but ..it takes an extra minute and can save your a$$

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
djh2 said:
So, my bike had some Hutchinson Top Speed (Kevlar) tires on it. I say had, because today during a 7.7 mile trip, the front tire un-seated itself and caused a tube to blow.

I'm going to be doing my first triathlon in july, and I have seen some "triathlon" tires. Would you reccomend these over say, Pro Race 2's or any other popular good tire?

Thanks, your insight is wonderful.
I have had this happen several times using Hutchinson Carbon Comp(?) years ago. I was using latex tubes. Anytoime I got a flat, the tire would blow off the rim. REAGARDLESS what Kerry irons says and Mark MCM, the tubes was NEWVER piched on or not seated properly. I checked them several times and well as a well respected mech. I assume the rim and tire combo was not good. I sent the rear to Hutchinson to see if there was a defect. Nope. These were on FSA RD400 and some Alex rims on a TREK 1000.

The Hutchinson latex tubes would blow/explode and off the rim came the tires.

This caused 3 minor wrecks. Nothing too bad. The front blowing out on a turn was the worse. A little RR, ascraped up pedal, RD along with my bibs and jersey. :mad2:

Again, the tubes was NOT pinched and was seated fine. I never used Hutchinon tires ot tubes again. Funny, but I have NEVER had this issue again. On those FSA wheels or any clincher that I currently use. :idea:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.