Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( I just got my bike back from a tune-up today. I went for a 30 mile bike ride and noticed that I have about 2 inches of cord showing on Bontrager Extra light 23 millimeter rear tire. I don’t have a spare tire and all of the LBS around are closed Sunday and Monday.

Can I ride my bike if I take it easy?
How many layers of cord does the tire have?
Has anyone road with a tire with the cord showing?
How many miles do you think the tire will last?

I know they are stupid questions and I should probable not ride the bike, but I am an addict and need to ride.

Thanks

· Could be faster
282 Posts
that reminds me of a ride with a few friends about 2 or 3 months ago. so there we were, about 45km into our ride with 5km to go and i was riding behind one of them, probably about 20 metres behind. then there was this allmighty bang, which i assumed was the backfire of a car. anyway, i see my friend pull over and so i went over to see what the problem was.

turns out that he rode his tyres down to the tube. yup, he shreded the tyre's cord/thread and it was only a matter of time before something hit the tube. what amazed us was that it took about 45km before the tube punctured. upon closer inspection, he had several worn-out spots all over the tyre.

to enable him to complete the ride, another friend placed a tyre boot over the most vulnerable worn patch. this allowed him to continue his ride and wouldn't you believe, just as we reached the end of the ride, there was another loud bang.

boon

· What the Hell is going on
6,032 Posts
Exposed tire chord

It's been my experience that an exposed tire chord is a bad thing. Ride at your own risk, though. It's no fun bombing down a mountain when your tire blows off. Ouch.

· Charismatic Megafauna
547 Posts
Just back from the shop?

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that the LBS that did the tune up should have pointed out the worn tire? (Not that I'm arguing against personal responsibility or anything.)

To answer your question, I probably wouldn't ride on it but if I did, I'd stick close to home and/or the bus route.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
JaeP said:
It's been my experience that an exposed tire chord is a bad thing. Ride at your own risk, though. It's no fun bombing down a mountain when your tire blows off. Ouch.
ouch??!!..........(more like funeral music to me...LOL) Man, that would be bad,........blasting down a mountain road at 45-50, tucked in, confident in your descending skills, lookin' good,...fast and silent,...........then "BOOM"

thats why I never thow my old tires away, (unless of course they're worn slam out)

· SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
Jetski said:
:( I just got my bike back from a tune-up today. I went for a 30 mile bike ride and noticed that I have about 2 inches of cord showing on Bontrager Extra light 23 millimeter rear tire. I don’t have a spare tire and all of the LBS around are closed Sunday and Monday.

Can I ride my bike if I take it easy?
How many layers of cord does the tire have?
Has anyone road with a tire with the cord showing?
How many miles do you think the tire will last?

I know they are stupid questions and I should probable not ride the bike, but I am an addict and need to ride.

Thanks

What would you do if it was showing on your car tire?

· Registered
1,198 Posts
PseuZQ said:
Just back from the shop?

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that the LBS that did the tune up should have pointed out the worn tire? (Not that I'm arguing against personal responsibility or anything.)
Nope. I would have mentioned it when I called to say the bike was ready but, most likely, I'd only get a voice mailbox so I wouldn't get authorization to replace the tire.

If it was somebody who I know pretty well I'd just replace the tire anyway, charge them for it, and save the old tire to show them when they came in to pick up their bike.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad tire

I have decided that riding on the road with the tire is too risky. The side wall is also bulging out a little which I did not notice before. I will have to suck it up and put it on the trainer for a couple of days. I am going to see if I can get the tire to blow! It will add a little excitement for my indoor ride.

When I took the bike to the shop I always authorize the shop to fix and replace what ever it needs. The shop usually does an excellent job. This time he must have missed it, I only allow one mechanic, who I trust, to work on my bike.

I like to buy my parts from my LBS but this time I ordered a new set of Michelin Carbon tires from Performance, with overnight shipping. I am replacing both tires even though the front tire is still good. I will keep the front tire as my spare so I will not be in this position again.

· Charismatic Megafauna
547 Posts
We want pix!

Jetski said:
I I will have to suck it up and put it on the trainer for a couple of days. I am going to see if I can get the tire to blow! It will add a little excitement for my indoor ride.
Make it Super Fun and ride on rollers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.