Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and the last thread on this is about 5 years old, so thought I would revive the topic. I noticed a cut yesterday on the rear tire on an almost new Veloflex Master. It is on the tread/surface contact area, about 1.5 cm long. No cords are visible and no bulging, although it's spread about 1 mm at the middle.

I did a 75 miler yesterday and heard a tire noise from the rear at the very end of the ride. I have a rear facing camera and looking through the footage,interestingly, saw the cut while I was stopped at about mile 30. This was well before I heard any noise, so I suspect the noise was not related to the cut.. Did some 40+ mph descents after that rest stop and the bike handled beautifully.

Anyway, I'm inclined to leave it alone for now and keep an eye on it. I'm worried if I put some kind of glue in it, it might actually worsen it. Any opinions?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
have used Shoe Goo and E6000 to patch some smaller cuts...

the repairs hold for while...6 months seems about the longest.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
A cut like you described is beyond my level of comfort so I would replace the tire if it was me riding on it.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
guess I overlooked the part of 40+ mph descents...

riding along on a cut tire on flat ground is one thing, bombing down steep grades is another.

it's just a tire, replace it.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
A cut tire never ends well IMO.... 1.5 cm is a pretty good size for a tire cut, you may not see any cords now but when your out riding and bombing down hills. it could vary easily open up and them boom boom out goes the lights....

I would simply replace the tire

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I did a search and the last thread on this is about 5 years old, so thought I would revive the topic. I noticed a cut yesterday on the rear tire on an almost new Veloflex Master. It is on the tread/surface contact area, about 1.5 cm long. No cords are visible and no bulging, although it's spread about 1 mm at the middle.

I did a 75 miler yesterday and heard a tire noise from the rear at the very end of the ride. I have a rear facing camera and looking through the footage,interestingly, saw the cut while I was stopped at about mile 30. This was well before I heard any noise, so I suspect the noise was not related to the cut.. Did some 40+ mph descents after that rest stop and the bike handled beautifully.

Anyway, I'm inclined to leave it alone for now and keep an eye on it. I'm worried if I put some kind of glue in it, it might actually worsen it. Any opinions?
If there are no bulges then almost by definition your tire casing has suffered no damage. Some recommend super glue for cuts but Shoe Goo seems a better idea because the filling is more rubber-like. I've ridden many thousands of miles with booted casings (some minor bulging) with zero problems. Others, as you can read in this thread, are scared to death by the very idea of a cut in the tread. YMMV

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
A new tire is cheaper and less painful than a trip to the ER or worse.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
A new tire is cheaper and less painful than a trip to the ER or worse.
No sht.

New tires can flat too. If you're convinced a flat will mean a trip to the ER or worse you're only options are solid rubber, a new hobby or the ER.
The question here is if a cut in the rubber unreasonably increases the chances of a flat happening. I don't see how it could. The casing it what needs to give out or be penetrated to flat.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like it's about 50/50 for ride vs replace. I'm going to ride it, maybe see if I can get some shoe goo. If it goes, it would happen like a regular flat as it's not on the side wall, so I'm not too worried.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Can't say that a flat tire has ever sent me to the ER, but maybe after 400K miles I'm just lucky.
If you're barreling down a hill at 40+mph and a tire blows, losing control is a possibility on the rear and a probability on the front.
Of course another solution would be to just not ride at those speeds. :idea:

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
If you're barreling down a hill at 40+mph and a tire blows, losing control is a possibility on the rear and a probability on the front.
It's fun to visit the edge once in awhile. :)

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
I can easily hit 40 mph on almost every route from my house.

riding the brakes isn't going to happen...

#chickensh!t

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I can easily hit 40 mph on almost every route from my house.

riding the brakes isn't going to happen...

#chickensh!t
Better chickensh!t than dead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts