Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Have an old tire hanging around? Cut a piece of sidewall from the tire and glue it to the inside of the damaged tire with glue from your patch kit. I've done it. If you don't have a scrap tire, ask at your local shop to dig through the trash bin.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Your picture shows the size, which is not critical. What is...
Are any cords cut? If not, cut the lose rubber off and cover with shoe glu.
If so, pitch it.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Why mess with a cut tire vs just replacing, sidewall or anywhere? I'd rather just replace it and not have to worry on a ride. Painful when it's a new tire but it more painful dealing with while riding. Tires are cheap, keep a couple new ones on the shelf so you don't have to lament over it when it happens.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Its cut clear through the tire...that's the tube hemorrhaging out of it :eek:
More like "herniating" than "hemorrhaging". :)

And what the others said. Boot it with something. I'll often use a large patch from a kit (like Rema) applied to the inside wall.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why mess with a cut tire vs just replacing, sidewall or anywhere? I'd rather just replace it and not have to worry on a ride. Painful when it's a new tire but it more painful dealing with while riding. Tires are cheap, keep a couple new ones on the shelf so you don't have to lament over it when it happens.
Yep...I agree.
Just ordered a couple new ones so Ill have a spare.
Small price to pay for peace of mind :thumbsup:
Thanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
Brand new tire with a cut. Could I fix this some way to get me by for a week or two ?

View attachment 318668
Seems to me the inner tube is peeking through.

You could boot the tyre (ebay: Lezyne or Park Tool tyre boots which are cheap).

However, it won't last long and is only meant to be used in an emergency to get you back home.

Would also not to want to boot it if a front tyre. On a commuter on flat ground would be okay to tie you over.

Out of interest: what tyre is it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just replaced it with a New one.
Its a Continental Grand Prix 4000s II 700 x 28
I ran one on my old bike for 2500 miles with now trouble. I sold the bike with them on it and they still had good live left on them. I like em alot.

I got a couple new ones from chain reaction for $33 each
Cheap enough :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts