Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a good all round clincher for races in the Bay area? I have a set of challenge grifos that worked well for me in NC where I moved from but I'm a bit in the dark what courses will be like in this area. I weigh 180 so I already know I can't run the psi super low (not like my wife who weighs 118 and can get away with low pressure). Definalty not interested in tubbies at this point since I will do at most 3-4 cross races.

·
Student of cycling
98 Posts
Michelin Mud2s worked well for me in the BASP and the CCCX. I'm planning to run them this year too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hmm I've always run tubies there, so I'll just stick to some course descriptions to help you pick an ideal tire:

oakland race: no clue, this is the first time for that venue

coyote point: hard choppy downhills, lots of bark chips (lost a tubie last year from one) and gravel/rock, some grass that's usually soft but with some dry spots, one sand section... sometimes a second long one thats fun :) If its unusually dry this place can become pretty fluffy and loose in the dirt sections, however some places will stay super hard packed.. Short laps lots of climbing and technical descending...

sierra point: nearly all hard pack dirt, inside and northwest section of the place has some grass so can be surprisingly grabby. Rest is choppy hard dirt and asphalt. Awesome night race venue.... you'll have a blast here..

golden gate park: Mix of granite trail, grass, some chips, soft dirt. Count on at least one good long stretch of asphalt to tach out on, and always some super loose dirt. In 2005 it was the fluffiest I've ever seen it and no tire will get you through those sections faster than running! Awesome race always my favorite of the year...

Have fun! I may make it up north for a race this year, but will more likely stay down here in socal and check out all these new venues to me...

In short you really can't go wrong with something durable and fast... I was last running hutchinson pirana's with tubes up there... (no tubeless wheelset)

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pointers.

EricN said:
hmm I've always run tubies there, so I'll just stick to some course descriptions to help you pick an ideal tire:

oakland race: no clue, this is the first time for that venue

coyote point: hard choppy downhills, lots of bark chips (lost a tubie last year from one) and gravel/rock, some grass that's usually soft but with some dry spots, one sand section... sometimes a second long one thats fun :) If its unusually dry this place can become pretty fluffy and loose in the dirt sections, however some places will stay super hard packed.. Short laps lots of climbing and technical descending...

sierra point: nearly all hard pack dirt, inside and northwest section of the place has some grass so can be surprisingly grabby. Rest is choppy hard dirt and asphalt. Awesome night race venue.... you'll have a blast here..

golden gate park: Mix of granite trail, grass, some chips, soft dirt. Count on at least one good long stretch of asphalt to tach out on, and always some super loose dirt. In 2005 it was the fluffiest I've ever seen it and no tire will get you through those sections faster than running! Awesome race always my favorite of the year...

Have fun! I may make it up north for a race this year, but will more likely stay down here in socal and check out all these new venues to me...

In short you really can't go wrong with something durable and fast... I was last running hutchinson pirana's with tubes up there... (no tubeless wheelset)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts