Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a Topeak digital smart gauge to check air pressure in my tires. It sucks it is hard to use, you must have it perfectly lined up on the valve, it loses air when you take it off and sometimes it gets stuck on the valve. Do I need to get a regular tire pump, I am using my air compressor know to fill my tires. Does any body know of a better gauge, our do I need to get a tire pump, recemendations please. Last thing lots of differnt inertubes out there, any better then others. Last but not least is there a spell check anywhere on here?.:D

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
dom3333 said:
I have been using a Topeak digital smart gauge to check air pressure in my tires. It sucks it is hard to use, you must have it perfectly lined up on the valve, it loses air when you take it off and sometimes it gets stuck on the valve. Do I need to get a regular tire pump, I am using my air compressor know to fill my tires. Does any body know of a better gauge, our do I need to get a tire pump, recemendations please. Last thing lots of differnt inertubes out there, any better then others. Last but not least is there a spell check anywhere on here?.:D
you might not want to hear this, but it is much les of a headach to use a good floor pump. There are lots of good ones and they can be quite inexpensive. Mine was a bit pricey (I need shop quality), but I'm sure others can recommend one for you.

-Eric

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will bet that most people will agree with you. Hope I get some good recommendations,THX

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Get a floor pump. I have Park's Professional Mechanic pump. It doesn't take but a few strokes to top off my tires (every 3 or 4 rides....sometimes 5) at 110 psi. On the road, you don't need a tire guage because you on the road you can judge inflation pressure accurately enough by just squeezing the tires. If you give 'em a squeeze at home when you know they're at the right pressure, then all you gots to do is remember how those squeezin's felt.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've got a compressor that I use for the car & the wheel barrow. I use a floor pump for the bike. It's faster, easier, and has a nice guage.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't like the Topeak pressure gauge - it takes forever to turn on and it's not very accurate (I tested it with bunch of floor pumps). For the money, the Zefal analog pressure gauge is very accurate, lightweight, and small. Performance Bike has it on sale for $9.99!

I have tested so many bike floor pumps, but I tend to prefer the track pumps (220 psi) - because I think they are a lot more accurate.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Answers

dom3333 said:
Do I need to get a regular tire pump...
Yes. I like my old Silca floor pump but others seem to hate the Silca pumps. Do a search.

dom3333 said:
Does any body know of a better gauge...
Accu Gage or preferably just use the gauge on your new floor pump.

dom3333 said:
Last thing lots of differnt inertubes out there, any better then others...
I prefer the smooth stemmed Michelin tubes.

dom3333 said:
Last but not least is there a spell check anywhere on here?
Webster's Dictionary. I keep the big red book under my desk for quick access. Really if you would just proofread what you wrote many of the errors could be corrected.

·
Banned
936 Posts
Humm. . .

dhtucker4 said:
I don't like the Topeak pressure gauge - it takes forever to turn on and it's not very accurate (I tested it with bunch of floor pumps).
How did you "KNOW" the floor pumps are accurate? What's the benchmark? Actually the Topeak is quite accurate, it's just a bit hard to get on the valve stem correctly.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
KATZRKOL said:
How did you "KNOW" the floor pumps are accurate? What's the benchmark? Actually the Topeak is quite accurate, it's just a bit hard to get on the valve stem correctly.
How do you "KNOW" the Topeak is quite accurate? - TF

·
Banned
936 Posts
Cal lab. .

TurboTurtle said:
How do you "KNOW" the Topeak is quite accurate? - TF
A guy I know works in the "cal-lab" at the company I work for, and I had him test it. I track one of my cars, and wanted to know if the digital gauge was better or equal to one of my analogue ones.

·
Banned
653 Posts
I am surprised nobody has mentioned that with a compressor it may be possible
to blow the tire right off of the rim. Make sure your regulator is set accurate. Also,
it is not wise to keep your compressor pressurized when not under use. The bottom
of the tank can prematurely rust from water. Topeak Joe Blow Pro works great for me.
I need a good pump, I bought, use and will never again purchase latex leaky inner tubes.
:(

·
Banned
471 Posts
The first ones I tried were Zefal dial/analog. [one attempted after another] Both locked up, after continuous use. I'm speaking about serious, daily riding. I'm old-school type, preferring dial/analog. Using that with the guage of the Blackburn TP-3 floor pump --- for a 2nd reading. Next hand guage be the Topeak digital. That one gave trouble after some time. Now I have the Planet Bike digital -- but rarely use it: as I depend on the guage of the Topeak Joe Blow. [Blackburn floor pumps are now around anymore, so I'm preserving that TP-3]

·
Registered
203 Posts
JerryZ said:
This is what I have, it's a very nice quality gauge: http://www.accu-gage.com/bicycle.htm
I have one of those too, and I really like it. It seems accurate and doesn't lose any air or bend valve stems. I only use it as an occasional sanity check for the gauge on my floor pump though. Other than that it's kind of redundant.

Just make sure to get the one that holds the reading until you press the release button (I think only the right-angle version has this).

·
Registered
270 Posts
The new Zefal presta tire pressure gauges, similar to the same ones two or three years ago - need to be reset every time you use the pressure gauge. There's a button right on the top of the pressure dial - sometimes it's red, sometimes is yellow. It's pretty simple to operate (not when it's operating on a presta valve). I like the lightweight convenience of inflators - you can get a box of 12g CO2 cartridges at any sports shop that sells paintball gun supplies - such as Wal-Mart. I tend to use high-pressure road tires (700X23, 700X22, 700X20) that are sturdy but sort of lightweight. I use tire pressure from 110-140 psi during training. When I have a flat I want to know what pressure is in the new tube.

The problem with the Topeak Digital Tire Gauge - it takes forever to take a reading, and often it powers down during a reading. Plus, it's two times heavier than the Zefal analog gauge, and it's a pain to use.

Now I have seen an analog presta pressure gauge - but it's $25 plus tax. A friend of mine has one - it's spot-on accurate, it's brass and steel.

I use a track pump because I think the gauges/dials are more accurate than the regular 160 psi maximum pumps that are out there. I had a decent floor pump that was off by 10 to 5 psi lower. As for on-the-bike pumps with gauges, I like the Cane Creek alloy (it only reaches a max of 120 psi), Topeak Road Morph (278g - same max as the Cane Creek), and the Topeak Mountain Morph (it's somewhat lighter than the Road Morph by 40g)..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a JoeBlow floor bump (w/gauge) and it works great but when ever I remove the nozzle/head a fair amount of air escapes so the last reading of the gauge is always a few pounds high at the end. Is this common for all floor pumps or am I doing something wrong?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts