Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my tires for the new season, which are right now 700x26 Kenda Kontenders. The tires 700x26 are hard to find though. So I was wondering if it would be ok to put a 700x25 tire on my rims instead. I think it should be ok since the tubes I think cover both 25 and 26 tires.

Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
I want to change my tires for the new season, which are right now 700x26 Kenda Kontenders. The tires 700x26 are hard to find though. So I was wondering if it would be ok to put a 700x25 tire on my rims instead. I think it should be ok since the tubes I think cover both 25 and 26 tires.

Thanks
There's enough variation in different manufacturers' tires that trying get to within a millimeter accuracy is futile. Are you only concerned about the tubes fitting? If so, no worries. Many tubes start at the smallest widths with a range of 18-25mm or 20-28mm. You could safely use the smallest tubes with the biggest cross or hybrid tires, the only problem being that as the tube stretches the wall thickness decreases, making it slightly easier to puncture (this doesn't necessarily mean you will see more flats). Tubes sized for tires above 25mm width can also often be crammed into a smaller tire, you just have to be more careful about pinch-flatting the tube when reinstalling the tire. Though this is more info than you need, basically sizing tubes to tires is hardly exact; you simply want the tube size within the ballpark to make it fit.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Anti-gravity said:
There's enough variation in different manufacturers' tires that trying get to within a millimeter accuracy is futile. Are you only concerned about the tubes fitting? If so, no worries. Many tubes start at the smallest widths with a range of 18-25mm or 20-28mm. You could safely use the smallest tubes with the biggest cross or hybrid tires, the only problem being that as the tube stretches the wall thickness decreases, making it slightly easier to puncture (this doesn't necessarily mean you will see more flats). Tubes sized for tires above 25mm width can also often be crammed into a smaller tire, you just have to be more careful about pinch-flatting the tube when reinstalling the tire. Though this is more info than you need, basically sizing tubes to tires is hardly exact; you simply want the tube size within the ballpark to make it fit.
Essentially what Anti-gravity said. There's plenty of variation in actual tire width between all the manufacturers. The variance comes from differing production tolerances, tire construction methods, tire profile, and rim width. Just like with tires, every rim of a given size spec is not necessarily the exact same width. That said, if you liked the 25mm tire, then look at some of the 25mm tires out there. You're likely to find a 25mm tire that you like as well as the 26mm Kendas you liked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts