Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
kinda depends-

Some lighter tires will not last as long as heavier ones and so based on that alone miles can very. I ride more of a race type tire and I am happy to get around 1500miles or so.

Also it depends on the roads you ride and how well you spot debris in the road. Those small pieces of gravel can cut sidewalls. I have a special skill to hit every piece of junk in the road.

Some riders will claim thousands of miles on their tires. They are most likely using heavier tires that IMO may wear better but have lower performance.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Yep-depends: Training tires can last a couple of thousand miles or more.
Lightweight racing tires can last up to 1000 miles for a rear tire. It also depends on your body weight, type of roads you ride, what kind of riding and so on. I used to keep track of the mileage on my tires, but now I just pull them off when needed. I look for tires on sale, and chuck them when they are worn. Right now I'm having good luck with Michelin Lithions. My LBS for some reason has a large inventory of Conti Ultra Sports, used them, they are cra* on the roads here (lot's of chip sealed).

For example I've got 2800 miles on a rear Conti Ultra 2000 (discontinued) and 1000 on a Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX.

You will probably end up doing some experimenting until you find what works for you.

This might get kicked into the wheels/tires forum.

·
Banned
7,756 Posts
Just changed mine tonight. Fusion 2 tubeless with a little over 3000 miles. The front still looked good but the rear was pretty thin (I do a lot of climbing). Incidentally, not 1 flat while riding on either tire. These are the future.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've been getting a consistent 1800-2200 miles for my rear and about double that for a front for my Bonte RXL's. Varying road surfaces from decent asphalt to nasty county road chip seals. Just put on a set of Conti GP 4000s...time will tell.

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
also-

I comes down to piece of mind. When I often exceed speeds of 40mph on downhills and carry over 30 through turns I want to be on a quality performance tire. Sure I could squeeze more miles out of them, but I would rather not risk it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.