Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running Continental Gatorskins on my bike. I put these on because I flatted 3 rides in a row. Recently it was recommended to me that I buy something a little lighter. My riding is training for or doing Century + rides. My preference is to do any ride with a lot of climbing. I live close to the Sierras and get a lot of opportunity to climb. I am 6'2" and 185 lbs.(if that matters) Can you suggest a tire and tube combo that would give me a good balance between weight and flatting? I guess I'm making an assumption that higher end tires are thinner and softer, but I have never used high end tires.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Flat cause?

vontress said:
I have been running Continental Gatorskins on my bike. I put these on because I flatted 3 rides in a row. Recently it was recommended to me that I buy something a little lighter. My riding is training for or doing Century + rides. My preference is to do any ride with a lot of climbing. I live close to the Sierras and get a lot of opportunity to climb. I am 6'2" and 185 lbs.(if that matters) Can you suggest a tire and tube combo that would give me a good balance between weight and flatting? I guess I'm making an assumption that higher end tires are thinner and softer, but I have never used high end tires.
Until you tell us what caused the flat tires, there's no reasonable way to make a recommendation. If they were caused by thorns, then you might have to stick with what you've got. If they were pinch flats, then it was a tire pressure problem, not a tire problem. And so on. I've seen people flat three times on one ride, but that was because they didn't take the time to find the cause of the flat and that little piece of glass or wire just kept puncturing their tube over and over.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
If you are riding the folding Gatorskins, they are not that heavy of a tire. I have weighed the 700 x 23 at about 230g. The GP4000, while advertised at 205g averages between 215-220g. (granted, gp4000s resists flats darn well too)

That extra 20-30g will not be the difference of getting over a climb.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I tried Gatorskins, and overall I was happy with them. I did not get any punctures, but I got one pinch flat with them. I wasn't very comfortable with their cornering performance. I'm now using Michelin Krylion carbons and I like them better so far. The rear has well over 3000 miles and has some cuts, but I only got one flat so far. They also feel better cornering than with Gatorskins. The Gatorskins were super easy to install. I know someone who had one roll off his rim when riding.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Michelin Pro3Race Tires and Michelin AirStop Tubes.
The P3R Tire is awesome, and using the 100g AirStop Tube really keeps flats to a minimum.

john

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
vontress said:
Just continue with the tire & tube combo you've been using.

I'm on Bontrager Race All Weather Hard Case. They are kinda heavy....the last century I did, there were constantly people changing flats (it was a century ride notorious for tire punctures)....I had no issues... I lost my group because they were changing flats

though I have heard good things about the Michelin Krylions (a tire I may be considering whenever I get done with the Bontragers)

·
Registered
245 Posts
valleycyclist said:
....... I know someone who had one roll off his rim when riding.
Stop it!

"High End" tires? I'm using 28 and 32 tires now, lovin it and don't care a bit about weight. It's the legs and gearing that get you up that hill. But, now I can fly down hills, bumpy sections and ride much longer distances more comfortably because of the higher volume tire. AND, very few flats when you lower your air pressure.
I'm also 6=2, 185 and my rear tire when I ride the 28 is about 85-90 lbs.
Also, consider using wider (23) rims, much better tire profile.
I'm just sayin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts