Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I dunno
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for some skinny cross tires. I have a MTB that I've converted to take 700c wheel with long-reach road brakes. Great on the road, but if there's a slight patch of dirt or some tame fireroads, the slicks won't cut it. Right now, I've got WTB Slickasaurus 700x37c tires in there with decent clearance under the brake arch.

Could I please get some advice on some cross tires to consider? I've been rather keen to try the Kenda Kross Supreme 700x35c tires. Any thoughts on tires like the Maxxis Larsen Mimo CX? What other reasonably knobby tires are there?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Schwalbe Racing Ralph.

Dumbest name ever, but cool knobbies with a supple casing. Note, these are knobbiest of cross tires. If you ride a bit on roads, go to a hardpack or hybrid pattern like Ritchey Speedmax or Michelin Jet.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ritchey trail mix

SpinWheelz said:
I'm in the market for some skinny cross tires. I have a MTB that I've converted to take 700c wheel with long-reach road brakes. Great on the road, but if there's a slight patch of dirt or some tame fireroads, the slicks won't cut it. Right now, I've got WTB Slickasaurus 700x37c tires in there with decent clearance under the brake arch.

Could I please get some advice on some cross tires to consider? I've been rather keen to try the Kenda Kross Supreme 700x35c tires. Any thoughts on tires like the Maxxis Larsen Mimo CX? What other reasonably knobby tires are there?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
I've run the cheap 35c ritchey trail mix tires, on my cross check when I know I will be ridding some road and some off road. There cheap, don't pay more then 15bucks each, but there also long lasting and pretty durable and not prone to flats. They are actually a little on the small side for a 35c tire and not especially tall, a little widder then a michelen mud or jet, but probably a little shorter. I've just gotten a new pair of wtb 35c tires that look prretty agressive but haven't tried them yet, will probably be a little loud on the road. Those maxxis tires with the small knobs looks like it should be a good both conditions tire, I havn't tried them though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you can still find it on clearance in any ex-Supergo now Performance the Conti Twister Pros are great IMO. For $ 15.00 a pop how can you go wrong. They tend to wear out quicker then most but they are grippy for pavement use and awesome offroad.

·
I dunno
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, folks. I scored a sweet deal on a pair of Kenda Kross Supreme 700x35c tires. They fit great in the rear; unfortunately, they're a bit too tall and wide for the fork, so I'm on the market for something smaller in the front.

So far, I've narrowed the list down to:
WTB Cross Wolf 700x32c
Schwalbe Light CX Pro 700x30c
Michelin Jet 700x30c
Ritchey Speed Max Pro 700x30c
Panaracer Cross Blaster 700x31c
Hutchinson Pro Series 700x30c
Bontrager Jones CX 700x30c

Their prices range from reasonable to exhorbitant, I think. Any advice on a reasonable tire I can use for fireroads that aren't too gnarly? I'm also planning to use these in place of road slicks in the event that it rains, so that I don't wipe out and put some serious hurt on myself.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Kenda Kwick 35c--tread pattern is almost identical to the Ritchey Speedmax, so it's better-suited for pavement than a more aggressive tread, but still works pretty well off-road. They do wear quicker than I'd like, but at least the 35c holds up a lot better than the 30c.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts