Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK heres the question,
Fairly smooth course, lots of single track, dry.
Mavic aksium clinchers w/cont speed king 35's.
200lb rider.
What tire pressure/s would you reccomend?
Thnx.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Maybe start around 40 and do some laps. Take out air as you go. Ideally you'd be closer to the 35 range. Not sure I'd go too much below that with clinchers at your weight. Ideally you should bottom out 1-2 times per lap, but with clinchers that becomes a sketchy idea. Are you running latex or butyl tubes? CXM recently tested a bunch of tubes and latex came out as a pretty clear winner in reducing pinch flats at higher speeds and lower psi.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
krisdrum said:
Maybe start around 40 and do some laps. Take out air as you go. Ideally you'd be closer to the 35 range. Not sure I'd go too much below that with clinchers at your weight. Ideally you should bottom out 1-2 times per lap, but with clinchers that becomes a sketchy idea. Are you running latex or butyl tubes? CXM recently tested a bunch of tubes and latex came out as a pretty clear winner in reducing pinch flats at higher speeds and lower psi.
Standard issue butyl tube.
I'll start out @ 40 and go from there.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
200lbs? I'd start higher, at maybe 45 and wouldn't go much less than 40, unless you WANT to pinch flat.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I use Tufo tubie clinchers for training and I don't go much below 35 on them, and I weigh 180. I think 40 is plenty low with clinchers and a rider your size.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kram said:
I use Tufo tubie clinchers for training and I don't go much below 35 on them, and I weigh 180. I think 40 is plenty low with clinchers and a rider your size.
I'll take your advice and start at 45, then take it from there.
thx

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'll defer to Kram, but last season I was running clinchers around 30 and I'm 175. I figured another 5-10 lbs would suffice for the extra 25 lbs of body weight. Experiment and see how things go.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Really? I don't run my tubies that low, and we weigh about the same.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gave them a try tonight @ 45 and they're still pretty hard. I've got a lot of room to move from here. I'll have a chance to try them on the course pre-race in the morning.
Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
CX Clincher Tire Pressure

My two cents worth: I am 235 pounds, 51 years old, and this is my first cross season- so you're right in thinking I am probably not the fastest guy on the course (this week that was Ryan Trebon!). I am currently running Maxis 34c clincher tires, on a relatively fast and dry course in Central Oregon. While training I was running about 40 rear and 35 front, but I actually found that I started posting faster practice laps at 45 rear and 40 front. I would guess due to the relatively straight, fast and dry course. A little slower cornering with the higher pressure, but faster overall. I would experiment as much as you can on the course and under race conditions as much as possible and see what works best for you. There are an awful lot of variables involved. My goal is to be running 15-25 pounds less weight next season and maybe and a little less pressure too. Let us know what worked best for you- and have fun!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Post ride report.
I ran @ 40/45. I feel I could have gotten away with less as they didn't feel very soft( no bottoming as krisdrum decribed).
I'll play with it from here.

On a side note, you all failed to mention that the cleat retaining bolt in my left shoe was going to shear letting go of half of my cleat and leaving me unable to unclip.
I'll let that slide this time:)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Kram said:
Really? I don't run my tubies that low, and we weigh about the same.
I haven't had any issues yet. I ran about 25-28 psi again today at Rocky Hill, which was pretty bumpy and for the most part was comfortable and had good traction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts