Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
376 Posts
Pretty vague question...

and will get a wide variety of responses. A lot comes down to personal preference. I ride Vittoria Open Corsa's, 700x23 (I have found these to be about as round as Vredestein 25s) and ride them at 125psi. Work great for me.

I know plenty of others that ride at much lower pressure or ride much bigger tires. I rode Vredestein Fortezza 25 rear/23 front for quite awhile, but found I liked the ride of the Vittorias better and switched back. Don't last as long, but oh well.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
cthomas said:
and will get a wide variety of responses. A lot comes down to personal preference. I ride Vittoria Open Corsa's, 700x23 (I have found these to be about as round as Vredestein 25s) and ride them at 125psi. Work great for me.

I know plenty of others that ride at much lower pressure or ride much bigger tires. I rode Vredestein Fortezza 25 rear/23 front for quite awhile, but found I liked the ride of the Vittorias better and switched back. Don't last as long, but oh well.
Why would you ride at a high pressure when the data says that it will make you go slower and be less comfortable? Velodrome? - TF

· Registered
376 Posts
Actually tried most pressures, just found I like it at 125

I wanted to believe, but after experimenting just like it at that pressure. No flat problems, and ride quality has not been an issue. Maybe I'm just stupid, but oh, well. Won't be the first time!

· Banned
6,492 Posts
75 psi in a 35mm tire works. Toss those 23s

You don't mention a tire size, but if you're running the 700x23s that probably came on your bike, try going up two or three sizes. I weigh 240, and I haven't ridden anything smaller than a 32 (labelled size, actually about 30mm wide) in five or six years. My bikes will fit tires up to at least 40 mm, but I generally use 32s on the Rambouillet and 35s on the Atlantis. There's no downside that I can see. I run the 32s at about 95 and the 35s at 75 or so.
Warning: A lot of bikes won't fit tires bigger than 25 or 28 so check first.

· Registered
543 Posts
I'm 210 lbs and use 700X23 Conti GP tires. I inflate both tires to about 105-107lbs. Sometimes the front a pound or so less depending where the last pump stroke leaves the pressure. I dont get any pinch flats at this pressure and find if I go higher not only is the ride more harsh but the tires wear out much faster especially the rear.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
geraldatwork said:
I'm 210 lbs and use 700X23 Conti GP tires. I inflate both tires to about 105-107lbs. Sometimes the front a pound or so less depending where the last pump stroke leaves the pressure. I dont get any pinch flats at this pressure and find if I go higher not only is the ride more harsh but the tires wear out much faster especially the rear.
about the same...I run Conti GP3000s 23s at about 110 and I'm about 200.

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Me too.

Bocephus Jones II said:
about the same...I run Conti GP3000s 23s at about 110 and I'm about 200.
Me too, exact same.

· Registered
543 Posts
cydswipe said:
Me too, exact same.
I used to run my rear tire at around 115-120 and noticed the rear started to square off at around 500 miles. Not saying wore out but could definately see the center beginning to flatten out. I since have a new tire on the rear ( I put the old rear on another bike) and after 1000 miles I'm at the point where the other tire was at 500 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.