Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ProtoJ
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just decided to go with Continental GP 4000's, 25C on my new bike. I weigh 200lbs. I used to keep my 23 Contis at 112psi. My question is, what is the ideal tire pressure for this size tire at my weight that will minimize tire wear, be fast, and still offer some of the shock absorbtion benefits of the larger tire.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Personal pressure

jkaber said:
I just decided to go with Continental GP 4000's, 25C on my new bike. I weigh 200lbs. I used to keep my 23 Contis at 112psi. My question is, what is the ideal tire pressure for this size tire at my weight that will minimize tire wear, be fast, and still offer some of the shock absorbtion benefits of the larger tire.
Since we know nothing about your experience at "112 psi" (your gauge is NOT that accurate!) or what would have happened if you had ridden those 23s at 100, or 90 psi, it's not possible to predict. The odds are good, however, that you could easily run at 100 psi with your 25s, and maybe 90. You would lose virtually no speed, and your traction, comfort and tire wear would all improve at lower pressures. You're the only one who can tell us if you get a pinch flat at any given pressure, at which point it's time to consider raising the pressure.

·
now in philadelphia
798 Posts
I like to run low pressure even if it means I pinch flat once in a while. Actually the only tires I've pinch flatted were 20c Veloflex tires at 90 psi. On 23c tires I run 80-90psi and sometimes even lower for 25c tires. The rides is marvelous and since I ride on gnarly roads, the rolling resistance is better with lower pressures. I am 165lbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.