Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my first Triathlon (Olympic) this weekend and was wandering if there is an ideal pressure to put in the tires for the best speed. I'm riding a Felt Z85 with 700 x 25 tires. The max pressure on the Tire says 120 but I suspect that might br overkill. If it matters I am about 6'1" and 210 and race is on roads with temos that should peak at close to 90 F.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
So I have my first Triathlon (Olympic) this weekend and was wandering if there is an ideal pressure to put in the tires for the best speed. I'm riding a Felt Z85 with 700 x 25 tires. The max pressure on the Tire says 120 but I suspect that might br overkill. If it matters I am about 6'1" and 210 and race is on roads with temos that should peak at close to 90 F.
You probably don't need 120 psi with 25mm tires. You should consider the road surface as well. If the road is rough, either from pavement cracks and pothole patches or from coarse seal coating, you want your tires to be compliant to they don't cause suspension losses (vibrations transmitted into your body from the tires "bouncing" when they hit a rough spot). All that said, your tire pressure will not make a big difference unless you go too low and get a pinch flat.

I'm betting that 90 in the front and 100 in the rear would be pretty good but it does depend on how "light" you ride. If you sit on the saddle and never lift your butt when you see some roughness coming then you'll need higher pressures to avoid pinch flats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.