Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday I had a not so nice road hazard. A section along the trail they had repaired the chain link fence and they didn't clean the area up well. The stray cut link did this to the tire. There is a very slight bulge when at riding pressure.

Put a patch inside or toss?

·
Registered
21,675 Posts
Boot it and see

Kuma601 said:
Friday I had a not so nice road hazard. A section along the trail they had repaired the chain link fence and they didn't clean the area up well. The stray cut link did this to the tire. There is a very slight bulge when at riding pressure.

Put a patch inside or toss?
If you boot the tire (multiple layers of Tyvek make a good boot) and there is no bulge in the tire casing, then it's no worries. Even if there is a slight bulge, it will just mean that you will experience faster tread wear at that point. For any booted tire you need to monitor it regularly to be sure that the casing is not breaking down further as you ride.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
How big is the hole? It appears you zoomed in really close, is the hole about 8ths of inch in diameter? If so you shouldn't have any problems repairing it. Tyvek works but is a small hassle, better and faster is just to get a package of Park tire boot at your LBS. Just clean the inside of the casing with alcohol pad then apply the patch. Next use either Shoe Goo or Super Glue (I use this) and fill in the hole from the outside with the glue and let it dry. Your now good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts