Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of questions regarding tires please - at what speed does a wider tire width affect rolling resistance? Also, at what width does more riding comfort come in at? I am currently riding on 700x25's and am considering switching to 28's. Will I notice a difference in both comfort and rolling resistance or would going to 32's be more noticeable? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
How much do you weigh, and what is the condition of the roads you ride on? The extra comfort of wider tires is the result of being able to run lower pressures while still preventing pinch flats. But there's some limit to how low you can go without increasing rolling resistance from excessively squishy tires. If your weight/road factors allow you to run as low as, say 85 psi safely, you'd probably get no advantage from fatter tires. I mean, a 32 mm tire might let you ride at 55 psi without pinch flats, but you probably wouldn't want to do that unless you were on sand roads or something like that.

On the other hand, if you're big, and/or your roads are really crappy, so you have to run your 25s at 110 psi to avoid pinch flats, you would benefit from bigger tires.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Thanks for the info, JCavilia. I'm 170 lbs. and the roads I ride are all in good, paved condition...
IMO you wouldn't get any benefit from wider tires. You can probably run those 25s at something like 85 front, 95 rear and get a nice ride with plenty of pinch-flat protection. Maybe even a little lower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.