Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new bike and the first 50 miles I got a flat. I am new to road riding and lbs store said my tire was garbage because I had a tiny piece of glass in tire and I had to replace the tire.
Is this true? Is there anything you can do to use the tire again?

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Boot it

lucky13 said:
I just got a new bike and the first 50 miles I got a flat. I am new to road riding and lbs store said my tire was garbage because I had a tiny piece of glass in tire and I had to replace the tire.
As Fred said, it depends on the size of the cut. You can try booting it and see what results. Take a piece of Tyvek (the white "plastic paper" from FedEx or PriorityMail envelopes) and fold it so you have 4 thicknesses. It should be around 1" x 2" when folded, depending on where it's going to go in the tire. Insert it so it's centered on the cut, and then remount the tire and pump it up. If you get a bulge in the tire at that point, then likely the tire is indeed trashed. No bulge? Put some superglue or Shoe Goo in the cut and ride it.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kerry Irons said:
As Fred said, it depends on the size of the cut. You can try booting it and see what results. Take a piece of Tyvek (the white "plastic paper" from FedEx or PriorityMail envelopes) and fold it so you have 4 thicknesses. It should be around 1" x 2" when folded, depending on where it's going to go in the tire. Insert it so it's centered on the cut, and then remount the tire and pump it up. If you get a bulge in the tire at that point, then likely the tire is indeed trashed. No bulge? Put some superglue or Shoe Goo in the cut and ride it.

What do you recommend for tire PSI on a road bike? 100-120 psi?

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Was it a cut or just a puncture? You said a "tiny" piece of glass which leads me to believe it was not much of a hole. Usually this is not a problem after you remove the glass. Maybe the shop was just trying to sell a tire???

· fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
andulong said:
Was it a cut or just a puncture? You said a "tiny" piece of glass which leads me to believe it was not much of a hole. Usually this is not a problem after you remove the glass. Maybe the shop was just trying to sell a tire???
+1 Sounds to me like the shop was after a tire sale. If it was a small piece of glass that pierced the tube, then remove the glass, install new tube and go. Small cut-boot it. Big cut-chuck it.

· Super Moderator
41,448 Posts
lucky13 said:
You did mention you were new to road riding, so I'll ask: was the flat tire the front tire? If so, it might be that the shop was being cautious, because flatting the front tire can be catastrophic. Imagine if the tire's boot didn't hold, right when you're thundering down a descent. (It's why Sheldon Brown recommended not rotating one's tires, too.)

All the advice you got on booting, etc., is fine, unless this is the case. You could boot and rotate the f & b, since you've so few miles on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.