Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my bike this afternoon and noticed 2 ...I dont know how to explain them...slit or crack in the top of the tire. Nothing major very small and not that deep.

I was wondering if someone could let me know if I should worry about these and get a new tire or are they ok.

I know if I go into the LBS they will suggest replacing them as they want the sale so I thought I would put it out here and see what feedback I receive

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
My LBS has told me not to worry about small slits or cracks. Just make sure that no sharp objects such as little sharp stones or glass are in there and if so remove them.
But keep in mind that I ride Krylion Carbons and they have built in anti-tear protection. Some ultra-light race tires don't have that and may eventually rip through to the tube.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
If the tire doesn't bulge, the cuts are only in the rubber tread layer, and not really a worry. Some people think it's a good idea to glue such cuts together with superglue, or fill them with something like black rubber sealant or ShoeGoo, to avoid some small sharp thing getting stuck in there and working its way through. Can't hurt, I suppose.

If the tire shape bulges out at the point of the cut, that means some of the threads in the tire casing have been cut, and you need to keep a closer eye on those.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.