Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so im prbly gonna be ordering a new set of tires. These are to be used as race/training tires.

ive limited it to:

veroflex pave
veroflex corsa
vttoria open corsa evo ks OR KX OR CX ????
michilin pro race 2

i counted out the vredestien fortezza's, and conti's after hearing some bad things. that being said, if any of you say they are to die for id reconsider. So, which would you reccomend? Which would be most durable, fastest? etc.....

thanks

also, what tubes should i get with them as a race/training tube?

note - upgrading from bontrager racelite.....should i just keep those?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've had great luck with both Conti's & Michelins. To be honest, they're all I ever use.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
CC09 said:
I would keep those until they are worn.

The tires you have on your list are nice, but all of them are on the faster wearing side. I'd get a set of training tires (heavy, flat resistant, long lasting) and a seperate set of race tires.

·
Registered
168 Posts
CC09 said:
so im prbly gonna be ordering a new set of tires. These are to be used as race/training tires.

ive limited it to:

veroflex pave
veroflex corsa
vttoria open corsa evo ks OR KX OR CX ????
michilin pro race 2

i counted out the vredestien fortezza's, and conti's after hearing some bad things. that being said, if any of you say they are to die for id reconsider. So, which would you reccomend? Which would be most durable, fastest? etc.....

thanks

also, what tubes should i get with them as a race/training tube?

I actually like the Vredesteins as an all-purpose tire. They're what I currently use. They nice nicely, wear is decent, and they've resisted cuts and flats admirably. I don't care for the Contis. The 3000s were hard riding, don't know about the 4000s.

Proraces are nice. Pretty supple, roll decent, light, but are prone to cuts at higher pressures.

Vittorias ride great. A little heavier than the Michelins. They're better for as all-purpose tire. The Veloflexes, from what I hear, haven't tried, are supposed to be awesome; supple ride, fast, light. However, they wear quickly and cut easily. Save em for race day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
tires

I have had very good experience w/ Vredestein Fortezza SL 700X23 (201g on digital scale). I prefer the SL version it's lighter and corners very well.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
I have Open Corsa Evo CXs on my bike right now. I like 'em 'cause they're easy as hell to mount. I can do it by hand--I don't even carry a tire lever.

I just bought a pair for $80 on eBay. probikekit.com has 'em cheap, but I don't know if they're still offernig free shipping to the States.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I have Open Corsa Evo CXs on my bike right now. I like 'em 'cause they're easy as hell to mount. I can do it by hand--I don't even carry a tire lever.

I just bought a pair for $80 on eBay. probikekit.com has 'em cheap, but I don't know if they're still offernig free shipping to the States.
Bought a pair of Open Corsa Evo CXs less than $30per, free shipping i think it's still going on. Cheapest i've ever bought. took 4 days to ship. i'm still surprised.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
cmg said:
Bought a pair of Open Corsa Evo CXs less than $30per, free shipping i think it's still going on. Cheapest i've ever bought. took 4 days to ship. i'm still surprised.
That's what I should have done. :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have used continental 3000's harsf ride and wear fast!! I just replaced my bontrager race lites to michelin pro race and am extremely pleased with their performance as far as rolling resistance I saw an immediate improvement in my avg speed and elapsed time,however I have only ridden them a total of 52miles so I can't comment on their longevity.
p.s. they look cool too

phx

·
Registered
376 Posts
Open Corsa CX's are cheap on eBay

You may have to look, but you can find deals. They may not wear as long, but I love the ride and they are SO easy to mount. I also rarely have a flat. I know there are longer lasting tires out there, but so long as I can get these for $30-35 a tire I will stick with these for the great ride.

·
Hammerhead
174 Posts
For the last 2 seasons I have ridden the Conti Force/Attack combo. After many, many years of Michelins, I can honestly say that they are the best tires I have ever ridden. I got about 3,000 miles out of the rears, 6,000 and counting out of the fronts. Recently though I switched to GP4000's and so far I think they are even better. They roll like freakin' crazy! Can't speak to the wear issue yet. But they make a joke of the cornering and feel of the Michelin's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts